Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Sighting question >

Sighting question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting question

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MUZZY 100
I agree... he said his max shot is 100yds ,if sighted in 1/2 high at 50 that bullet is not going to move much at 100 i dont care what brand ,gr etc..your shooting. If you were hunting out west where you have a shot out past 200-300 than yes you better start getting more technical with your ballistics.. and find a range to practice at those distances.....
+1 (RR) .....and +1 again (Muzzy), if all your shots are within 100 yards !
Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

10-4 Ridge Runner. However consider this too in chosing a load. If you are not hand loading, I suggest that you try at least 3 different factory loads looking for the tigest grouping load.

Every 308 Win. I have ever sighted in "liked" bullets in the 165 gr. range at around 2650 - 2700 fps. So I would start with the major manufacturers' loads that use 165-168 gr. hunting bullets and go from there. And don't forget the trig. If you find one say that groups 1" at 50 yards, the group will be about 2" at 100 yards (i.e. 2X). Take that into consideration.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CRhodes
You need a bullet drop table for your load.

Generally, shooting a 150-gr bullet at 2800 fps, you can zero at 30 yards and be on at 200.

Just get a table for your specs and calc it out.
Actually this is most likely the only thing I think we will every agree on. If I can recall it right it is something like 33 yards would put it right in the bull's eye at 100 yards. Good Luck with this.

I do agree with what others are saying as well. Try a few different brands out to see what shoots best for you.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Actually this is most likely the only thing I think we will every agree on. If I can recall it right it is something like 33 yards would put it right in the bull's eye at 100 yards. Good Luck with this.

I do agree with what others are saying as well. Try a few different brands out to see what shoots best for you.

You only think you agree.

And to the OP, just sight it in to hit about a half inch to an inch high at 50 and you'll be fine within the ranges that you expect to shoot. If you miss it isn't the gun's fault.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
You only think you agree.

And to the OP, just sight it in to hit about a half inch to an inch high at 50 and you'll be fine within the ranges that you expect to shoot. If you miss it isn't the gun's fault.
Actually I was trying to remember what the exact yardage is that would nail the X at 100 yards. I have earned the rifle mans badge for marksmanship during my younger years! Today with diabetes and my age my eyes are not quite as good.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Spike

OK....1st off,If your longest shot is going to be 100yds, then have it zero at 100yds. 1/2" high at 50 will put your 308 at around 1 1/2" high at 100. Is that OK for hunting??.... sure it is, but its not needed unless you're going to be shooting out to 200. Secondly, at your 50yd range, a bullet that your gun "likes" should one hole group{or at least clover leaf}. So, find the bullet your gun likes best, then go to that bullet manufactures website, look up your exact bullet in 308, and look at the ballistics chart for it. For example, a Fed Premium 150gr Ballistic tip 308 zeroed at 100 is .2" LOW at 50.
Sorry to disagree guys, but its a chemical reaction sending a projectile at high velocity....so it kinda is "rocket science".
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps not needed, but does no harm either. For all "close range" hunting, I'd rather hunt with a gun that is sighted more toward the optimal trajectory than the intended max shot distance. Deer have a way of showing up at all kinds of distances. All I want to be thinking is aim dead center and squeeze.

Also, the gun could be used at some point in the future in more open country. A 200 yd zero does no harm.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is fine if you have a need to shoot long range. A lot of us do not have that need. Heck there is some of us that would be lucky enough to be able to find much areas over 100 yards. I can only think of a couple of places here for any of that. Even then with the hills and all it would still prove difficult. I guess that is because here we have no flat open country.. Actually you would be very lucky to see any place in our woods much over 60 yards.