Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
need to find a holster >

need to find a holster

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need to find a holster

Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default need to find a holster

Hello, I just purchase a taurus model 44ss4 was wonder what size of holster ?.. J frame, k frame, L frame, etc ?
Thanks, Steve
Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just speculating based on size here (and caliber/cartridge) you're probably needing an N Frame holster. The J is S&W's small frame, the K/L are mid-frames, generally in the .357mag 6 shot ballpark. The Taurus 44 is a large framed .44mag, just getting 6 shots of .44mag in a cylinder tells me it aint going to fit in a K/L frame holster.

For what it's worth, comparatively, the 4" Taurus 44 comes in at 45oz, and the 4" N-Frame S&W 629 comes in at 41.5oz. The shroud on the S&W is a bit shorter, might make up an ounce, and the top rail is a little heavier on the Taurus, but by and large, I'd say if anything the Taurus is BIGGER than the N-Frame, if not about the same size.

No matter how you cut them, a 6 shot .44mag is a big dang revolver, ain't gonna fit in a J/K/L frame holster.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the holster for my Colt Anaconda through Pistol Packaging. They have some standard dimension rigs for different models/barrel lengths. But they can also customize for scopes. They have a form you fill out with measurements and they build to fit. Not as expensive as you might think, and very nice.

http://www.pistolpackaging.com/
Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Spike

I got mine from midwayusa.com.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Spike

Great thread,Thank you to all those who posted...., keep them coming