Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 browning a-bolt caliber??? >

browning a-bolt caliber???

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

browning a-bolt caliber???

Old 09-03-2003, 01:27 PM

Default browning a-bolt caliber???

i mostly hunt in north carolina, but plan on going out west more in the future and i' m about to get a new a-bolt. im undecided about what caliber i should choose. are the WSM' s all they are cracked up to be? if so 7mm WSM or 300 WSM. i' d like to use this gun around here also and have considered the 300 win mag and 7mm rem mag. i know you older guys know much more and have lots more experience. just wondering if you guys could share some of that wisdom. i appreciate it. thanks.

God bless you.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: browning a-bolt caliber???

Hey Nc_Archer,
I have a 300wsm in the Modle 70,and I have not shot at any game yet,but I bought it for elk and I' m pleased with the accuracey of it.Ihave only had mine for a few months.I think you would be impressed with it IMO.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

You' ll like the A-Bolt and any of the cartridges will do for you. However the 7mm might be a better all around choice starting on the East coast. It' ll certainly do the job on elk as well. I' d pick the WSM but the Rem Mag is fine too.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:27 PM

nc
The 300wsm might be one to look at. It is getting the most play of all the new short magnums (I believe) so will be around for a while.

From reports it has less kick that the 300 win mag and almost as much power.

Lots of people will tell you from their experience that the 7mag is as good as the 300 on elk. I prefer the extra bullet weight and power of the 300. You will have to decide for yourself on that one.

I live in Idaho have shot and seen lots of elk shot and I would buy the 300 wsm if I was deciding today from those choices.

Old 09-03-2003, 04:34 PM

i have a browning a-bolt medallion chambered in the 30-06sprg. fine round and does what i need it to do.

i would go with either a 30-06sprg or a 280rem. both will work fine for what you want it to do. you really don' t need a magnum .
Old 09-03-2003, 07:45 PM

NC_archer, not to get you confused or anything, but personally if I were looking for a new A-Bolt for myself, I would give serious consideration to the .270 WSM. The 7mm or .300 WSM' s wouldn' t be bad choices either though.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:49 PM

The only thing that would concern me is availability of ammo and it' s cost. The Remington Ultra Mag ammo is expensive in my opinion. And I assume the WSM' s are too.

Is it legal to transport ammo on airlines now??? I' ve lost track of the regulations with the way things have been lately. If it' s not, I' d be concerned that I couldn' t find the ammo I need when going out west if you fly. I' d stick to more conventional calibers like the .06, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

if it' s a short mag you want and to be used for elk and at distance i think the 7mm wsm would be the best choice , it' s got the punch and the reach. of course the 7mm rem. mag will also get the job done
Old 09-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would stick to the standards 7 rem mag or 300 win, as it is very spectulatory about the data published with realtime results with regards to the WSM vs standard counterparts & ammo choice and availabilty is readily available(not to mention less expensive). The one thing it does give you is a short action with magnum boost but it does not exceed it standard brothers. However if you want a short action and mag to boot I would opt for the 300WSM. Main reason is been around the longest so it has more gun/ammo/bullet offerings (especially if you buy over the counter-factory ammo) and I think it will be one that will stand the test of time.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

300 Win. Mag. Good luck.

Quick Reply: browning a-bolt caliber???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.