Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New pistol break-in? >

New pistol break-in?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New pistol break-in?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Spike

Default New pistol break-in?

I just bought a new Ruger Mark lll 22-45 with 4.5" threaded bull barrel. This is the first brand new handgun I have had & I was wondering if there was a specific method to break in the barrel. It says nothing in the manual about it. When I got an aftermarket bull barrel for my 10-22 it said to clean it after every round for the first 10 & then after 5 rds for 10 times & then after 10 rds for 10 times & then after 100 rds for 10 times & then normal maintenance after that. I didn't know if that was a standard formula to go by for this 22-45. I'm going to the woods to shoot it tomorrow & after I get it broke in then I'll get my daughter on it. That's why I got it she's gonna start going to some local matches so I'm looking forward to getting it up & running for her. I know I'm gonna have to do some trigger work on it as it has about 3/16-1/4 Inch of pre travel then it breaks kinda crunchy right at 4lbs but I'm gonna put a couple bricks of ammo thru it & then see where it's at. I've read a lot of things saying they smooth out after a couple 1000 rds or so. So if someone can set me straight on this break in procedure I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Biggjimm
Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Modern day firearms do not need to be broken in. Most modern day guns are made so well that "breaking them in" has no place.

That practice ceased being necessary a long time ago.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I break-in all my new firearms; its also a good way of getting to know your new gun. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Jim, this is probably the most perfect .22LR pistol, ideal for backpacking.

I am also looking at the "Target" model, due to its heavier longer barrel and its adjustible sights.

Keep us posted on how yours shoots and what you have learned about it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is that "most" would recommend for a new rifle;

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....-cleaning.html

So, YOUR choice; after all it's YOUR gun !!!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. I've been doing a little research on the subject & it seems like with any subject the opinions are just as varied as the guns we shoot & collect. and that's what I like about a site like this. It gives me a lot of info to consider to be able to make informed & educated decisions on my part. I've found a lot of barrel manufacturers recomended some sort of process for new barrels & if the only result is I get an excuse to shoot & to become familiar with my new gun & in the process I just might end up with a gun that is a tad bit more accurate, then I guess it's a no-brainer for me. I know I always followed manufacturers recommendations for breaking in & seasoning my muzzleloader bores & I always end up with a superbly accurate & consistent rifle & my buddies stand in line if I decide to part with one because they are such good shooters. Any ways I'm gonna go to the woods & shoot it in here in a bit & I'll post back after. Thanks again. And thanks for that link Sheridan, that's the very type of precise info this simple guy needs.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

The reality is, by the time most people shoot a new gun enough to be familiar with it, it's "broken" in.

I bought a Ruger MK III ten years ago that shot just as well brand new as it does now with I don't even know how many hundreds of rounds each year put through it. I typically put 200-300 rounds a year through it, which isn't all that much.

Enjoy your new gun. My MK III has a 5" bull barrel. It's been a fun gun to own. I've taken down a lot of intrusive paper targets and empty pop cans. ;-)
Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury
Modern day firearms do not need to be broken in. Most modern day guns are made so well that "breaking them in" has no place.

While I agree with you for the most part, there is one exception, IMO. If you are buying a pistol that will be used for self defense, it should be shot several times. In fact Kahr Arms recommends a minimum of 200 rounds for their pistols to be "broken in".

4th question under "Kahr Pistol"

www.kahr.com/faq.asp#q6
Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury

Apparently you have never had a new Kimber pistol (I won't be buying another one).
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several of the semi-auto pistol manufacturers recommend running 200+ rounds of FMJ ammo thru before attempting HP or "carry" type rounds. After that, all I ever do is clean, shoot, clean, shoot, ... LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.