Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin model 57M .22 mag. >

Marlin model 57M .22 mag.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin model 57M .22 mag.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Marlin model 57M .22 mag.

OK...now that I've suckered you in here...The gun I have a few questions about is not a Marlin 57M .22mag, but in reality it is. It is a J.C. Higgins (Sears) model 44DLM .22 mag. I know it's a Marlin so we don't need to go there but here's what I need help with...

This was a gun my wife's Dad had owned (he also had a Marlin 56 levermatic which we also now have) and it is in exceptional shape. I recently got an itch to start shooting it and would like to scope it. The top of the reciever has two factory drilled holes, one forward of the breech bolt and one about half way back between the rear of the breech bolt and the tail end of the reciever. Am I going to have to have additional holes drilled and tapped for bases, or is their a bridge mount or single hole base mounts available so that I won't have to?

It's really not a question of destroying any collector value here because it's a HIGGINS and there's also no sentimental value attached, he bought it to re-sell it when he was still alive and running his Sporting Goods store. I really want to scope it, I would just rather not have to hassle with having gunsmith work done (and the cost) if it isn't necessary. Any and all info, comments, suggestions appreciated. Thanks,

BPS
Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Fellas,

I should have done a little more digging before I posted. I found what I'm looking for. It is a one piece (bridged) base that has only two holes. Midway has it in stock. Thanks for lookin' and sorry again.

BPS