Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington model 11 >

Remington model 11

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington model 11

Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington model 11

Just wondering if anybody here has one of these guns. If so, do you still hunt with it? I do most of my bird hunting with my A5 but still love to take my old model 11 out a few days each season.
Thanks, Ray
Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had one for many years. It was heavy, well-made and dependable. The action absorbed recoil. I shot trap, many ducks, rabbbits, a few pheasants and my first turkey with it. Learn how to adjust the friction rings at the end of the magazine tube. Steel bevel ring facing away from the bronze friction ring to shoot light loads, bevel the other way to shoot heavy magnum loads.
It was a great shotgun, every bit as good as the A-5 in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Spike

I had a 20 gauge, I bought used had only 2 boxes pof shell shoot through it.
Gave it to my son, he still shoots it.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Spike

I have one in 16 gauge; still hunt with it...upland & waterfowl. The only thing I had done to it was to have the barrel cut back to 26" and add a poly choke to make it more versatile.
Still haven't taken a turkey with it yet....that and a goose are two things I haven't taken with it yet.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

One of my best friends owns one of them in 12 gauge. When we first started hunting, I used a Browning Auto 5 "light twelve" (as it was called.. but nothing light about it.) model Belgium Browning shotgun. It sleeps on the rack. I took scores of grouse, pheasants, ducks, geese, rabbits (more then I care to remember), even deer shooting a slug. And one day, my best friend and I head out to the woods. He'd always had a old single shot "Long Tom" bolt action shotgun. I forget the make. But he could sky bust a duck or goose any day with that thing. And he's got this big grin... because they always teased me about my Browning with the gold trigger and ivory bead sight.. And he pulls out of his case a Remington 11. I thought he'd found a Browning like mine at first. That thing shot great, and handled like my Browning.

We pheasant hunted with them shotguns for years, taking countless birds over the dogs. He then moved away, and I have not talked to him in years. Although he did touch up on Facebook. And he's still got that Remington Model 11 shotgun.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 16gauge
I have one in 16 gauge; still hunt with it...upland & waterfowl. The only thing I had done to it was to have the barrel cut back to 26" and add a poly choke to make it more versatile.
Still haven't taken a turkey with it yet....that and a goose are two things I haven't taken with it yet.
Thanks for all of the responses. Do you shoot steel out of the Model 11 or do you use one of the other non toxic shot shells that are safer on the older gun barrels?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, I know what you are saying about the Light Twelve, there is nothing light about it. However, going to my favorite duck hole without that old A5 just does not feel right. Lol.. I have had that gun for over thirty years now.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by RPD63
Cayugad, I know what you are saying about the Light Twelve, there is nothing light about it. However, going to my favorite duck hole without that old A5 just does not feel right. Lol.. I have had that gun for over thirty years now.
The Browning I have on my gun rack was purchased by my father in 1952. My Dad said my mother about used it on him when he brought it home because it cost $185.00 and they did not have a lot of money. But he hunted and brought home a lot of game with it. Then he passed it down to me about thirty years ago or more. The shotgun will not shoot a light field load and eject it. Even though it will shoot only the 2-3/4 shells they must be high velocity. But when loaded right, that shotgun never fails to fire. And I've sat in duck blinds in driving snow storms and it always goes off.

I really liked the gun when my friend with the Remington and I used to jump shoot ducks off all the pot holes. I had a big Labrador Retriever and he'd sneak along with us. He was comical to watch because when we'd go into sneak mode, so would he. When they came off the potholes, we'd knock them down and then he'd go into action. Man that was a lot of fun.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RPD63
Thanks for all of the responses. Do you shoot steel out of the Model 11 or do you use one of the other non toxic shot shells that are safer on the older gun barrels?
I shot steel for ducks out of mine, but it didn't have a full choke. I wouldn't shoot steel if it was a full choke barrel. Those old full choke barrels were bored tighter than today. The shells of the time didn't have shot cups and the chokes had to be tighter to get a full choked pattern.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The Browning I have on my gun rack was purchased by my father in 1952. My Dad said my mother about used it on him when he brought it home because it cost $185.00 and they did not have a lot of money. But he hunted and brought home a lot of game with it. Then he passed it down to me about thirty years ago or more. The shotgun will not shoot a light field load and eject it. Even though it will shoot only the 2-3/4 shells they must be high velocity. But when loaded right, that shotgun never fails to fire. And I've sat in duck blinds in driving snow storms and it always goes off.

I really liked the gun when my friend with the Remington and I used to jump shoot ducks off all the pot holes. I had a big Labrador Retriever and he'd sneak along with us. He was comical to watch because when we'd go into sneak mode, so would he. When they came off the potholes, we'd knock them down and then he'd go into action. Man that was a lot of fun.
I'm sure I am not telling you anything that you did not know, but were the friction rings in your a5 set up for light loads when you were shooting the light loads? When I use mine for dove hunting it will not eject the shells every time if it's set up for heavy loads.