Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
20ga for elk >

20ga for elk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

20ga for elk

Old 11-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
How do you know you can get a shot at 100 yards or less?

I have killed plenty of elk with shots less than 100 yards. But why would you want to limit yourself? If that cow is out there at 150 yards and that is as close as you can get, you could very well be under gunned with a 20 ga. At 200 yards you would under gunned for sure.

Again I ask, why would you want to limit yourself?

Take the 30.06 and the .270 as a backup. Take the 20 ga and use it to hunt the timber during late morning or early afternoon. The 20 ga would make a great brush or timber gun.
Killed 3 mule deer and a cow elk with the Savage 220 this year. Mule deer buck 188 yards, mule deer buck 172, cow elk 168. 200 yards is the max and you are definelty not under gunned past 100. The gun is a tack driver and a well placed shot goes in and tears it up. All thee shots did not make a full pass but dropped them where the stood.