Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifle or Pistol ? >

Rifle or Pistol ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle or Pistol ?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Sheridan asks a very good question here. When I purchase a new firearm I always try to expand in to new options not overlap.

If you are looking to build on fundamentals by "target shooting" I would suggest the .223 this will also enable you to do the small game hunting. The rig Homers Brother suggests would be very good. If you are looking for more of a casual plinker I would go with the 22.

BTW as was mentioned earlier in the thread there is no reason why you cannot get both eventually. Purchasing new firearms has really taught me how to be disciplined in my gun savings. I put a sheet of paper in my "gun jar." Every week when I add a $10 or $20 I write down the date and total the new amount. In this way I see the money growing and can predict about when I will have the funds for the next piece. So far I have averaged 1 purchase a year...not too bad.

Good luck with your decision.
all hail the definitive answer
Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

I have a
Rem 30-06
bolt .22
1100 20ga
870 12ga
CVA 50 muzzleloader
browning 20ga pump

Leaning toward the new SR22 pistol or a .223 but not sure which flavor.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

From the look of what you have, I would lean towards the .223. Would give you a nice longer range, smaller caliber gun.