Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Spike

Default 270

So I've been pretty dead set on getting a new rifle in a couple months and I believe half the fun is just researching and looking around! I've done a fair ammount now and I'm definitely sticking with the browning xbolt in stainless stalker or white gold medallion and I will top it off with a leupold vx-3 havent decided what size of cartridge yet..

I was dead set on 300 win mag. then after some more research and test firing and peoples opinions I leaned towards the 30-06. But my cousin convinced me that wsm cartidges in 270 7mm or 300 were the way of the future and after much thought and much more research ive decided between the 270wsm and 300wsm I'm not at all worried about the two calibers disappearing in the futur contrary to popular belief and if they do, oh well I'll get a new rifle.

Now some factors that are important to me are recoil bullet availability and bullet weights im not concerned about speed cause I will be reloading 90% of the time and can acheive pretty much the same velocity with most of the weights.

I've shot a 303 british lever action 30-30 a 30-06 and a few 12g shot guns with bird shots and no recoil pad just rosewood to tshirt and I could take a dozen or so shots befor feeling the affects in my shoulder (from the shot gun only). I'm 5'10" and I weigh give or take 160lbs I've played full contact hockey all my life so I'm not a ***** I can take a hit I'm physically fit and I hate to brag but strong for my size. I was wondering if the recoil for these guns is considerably different or just a little bit if its just a little bit then I'd rather go for the 300 because I would like to go on a moose hunt in the near futur but if there is a considerable difference in recoil then the 270 would be my choice but I have not shot either soo in comparison to the rifles I've shot which would be closest?

Let me know what you think? As usual any and all advice is greatly appreciated makes my decision easier and makes me happier in the end.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker.

If you say; "well hell, I'll just buy another rifle."

In that case, then just buy any NEW cartridge.

If you reload, then why not perfect a load for a classic cartridge.

.270 Win. or 7MM RM would be my choice.

BTW - if you enjoyed the contact while you were playing hockey, you'll laugh at the recoil from these calibers.

If you have shot 3" or 3.5" shells out of a 12 gauge, you got nothing to be concerned about !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-26-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

270win, 30-06 etc... don't kick IMO in a standard weight rifle.

300win.mag. type cases/cartridges kick!

ie the 270 is very comfy to shoot, fun, nice, easy, 300mag, 340wby mag etc... are not fun too shoot, they're manageable etc... but I would never choose a 300mag to go plinking at the range.

You're options are grand from .270win, to 300mag, and since you mentioned moose, 338win.mag is a pretty sweet round, great for deer to moose!

I like the WSM's, the 2 most popular are 270 and 300wsm and are here to stay IMO, the 7mm and 325wsm not so sure about... although the 7mm is a sweet round but best doesn't always win the race.

I'd strongly consider the 7mm Rem.Mag, .300 WSM, and .338 Win.Mag.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

First off, what are you going to be hunting? Secondly, and I am not pointing fingers at you, but I've seen BIG men wince and flinch shooting even 30-06 chambered rifles. Rememer, the bigger you are the more resistance your body has to the recoil and the more it will absorb. Also, rifle designs, even rifles of the same make, model and chambering can have noticibly different recoil.
I would say that if you are definately leaning toward the WSM cartridges and you are not going to hunt anything larger than deer or black bear the .270 WSM will suffice. However if you plan on hunting bigger stuff I would lean toward the 7mm WSM or 300 WSM with the 300 being the most versitle. At least that is my opinion for what its worth.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Spike

Well i definitely dont flinch when shooting thats dangerous and i am very safety oriented so if i did flinch id start back at a pellet gun and work out that flinch up to whatever im gonna take hunting but the 30-06 was fine for me i liked shooting it and since im reloading i figured id need less powder because of the way the powder burns with the wsm cartridge and save some money there and the fact that the action is smaller less metal and less weight. and is the 300wsm quit a bit more kick than a 30-06 cause i can manage it but i dont want to be uncomfortable i want to look forward to shooting it. yes i will be taking it out shooting at the gravel pits quite often with buddies and ive heard of some guys taking moose with the 270wsm is that the perfect 1 in a million shot or is it very possible i dont want to injure an animal by being under gunned because if it is very possible then id go 270 but if not then id have to go 300 like i said i want to have the option of being able to bring it moose hunting. thanks for the info guys!

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Proud owner of Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker.
how do you like the synthetic stock im trying to decide between that and the white gold medallion? i take good care of my posessions and being that its my first rifle i want toi have the optio of passing it down so i want it to last but i want to know if there are any advantages to having either one?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I look at a hunting rifle as a tool and I know it's going to have to hold-up to every type of hunting conditions.

I don't care to own a rifle that I'd always be concerned about getting a scrach on it !

I do own one "fancy" shotgun that I only bring to the range for shooting clays.

Each to their own.......................

For me; synthetic / stainless is the way to go.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

A .270 win with a 150 gr. Nosler Partion bullet will take the biggest moose down in North America with a shot to the boiler room. A 300 mag is a great round but unless you can shoot over 200 yds at deer its a little overgun in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

In Montana, the standard 7mm has knocked down everything that I have gone after. Ammo readily available and in a lot of choices.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gonewest
A .270 win with a 150 gr. Nosler Partion bullet will take the biggest moose down in North America with a shot to the boiler room. A 300 mag is a great round but unless you can shoot over 200 yds at deer its a little overgun in my opinion.
so youre saying i have to have a great shot to go moose hunting? or are you saying i have to have a descent shot cause im no marksman but i can shoot descent i guess i want to know if i have to wait for the perfect shot and make the perfect shot with the 270 wsm or would it be easier to take a moose with the 300 wsm
Old 01-28-2012, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd just get the old .270 and never look back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.