Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
30-30 scope mount? >

30-30 scope mount?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-30 scope mount?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default 30-30 scope mount?

I have two model 94 30-30
one is pre-64 1948 to be exact
Other is post 64 1972 to be exact

2 questions

1. Looking to find approx value on both

2. How to mount a scope on one of them. Not surehow its done since they are top eject

Thc
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a scope mount on my old dirty 30 when I was 12.
It was one of the most awkward things ever.
It was a side mount similar to those seen on the Mini-14/30. Made by B-Square, or some such thing.
I lost total cheek contact with the stock, and that affected accuracy. A good peep sight would be far better than a scope mount that limits cheek contact with the stock.

Here's a link that I found. It might be something to look into. It is a complete departure from what I had 20+ years ago.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/27047-34.html
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The value of these two rifles will depend primarily upon condition. Only the very early vintage Model 94's and any rare versions are considered "collectible" and therefore might carry a premium. The "Pre-1964" manufacture date for Winchester rifles is primarily applicable only to the Model 70 bolt action as far as value.

As far as a scope mount, there are cantilever mounting systems available. I agree with "sconnyhunter". The scope set out to the left hand side of the rifle was not comfortable to me at all. It was all but impossible for me to get on game quickly, and left me in less able to keep the rifle steady. I removed the scope mount and use my Model 94 (now extremely rarely) in open-sight mode only.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another option (not a scope) is a red dot type sight. I put a Burris FastFire II on my Win. .32 Spl. It does not interfere with the ejection because it's mounted way back just above the hammer. It's also very lightweight and doesn't ruin the balance of the rifle.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

does it take a clip? or a mag?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baked, the Win 94 is a tube fed levergun.

To the OP, there are really only two options in my book. Side mounted scopes, or scout mounts (barrel mounted). Personally, I'd prefer a scout mount over the side mount.

Midway and brownells have several side mounts available. None are a "good option" in my book since they're such an unnatural position for your head, and don't allow proper engagement between the shooter and the rifle stock.