Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hornady .22 Hornet 35 grain V-Max Quality? >

Hornady .22 Hornet 35 grain V-Max Quality?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady .22 Hornet 35 grain V-Max Quality?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Spike

Default Hornady .22 Hornet 35 grain V-Max Quality?

How are these rounds?

I have a .22 Hornet on the way. I aim (no pun intended) to harvest a few 'yotes in "closer" quarters. The area is too populated with farm houses, and an occasional neighborhood, for a weapon like a .223 or .22-250.

I just watched a video of a guy the tagged two foxes at a distance with a Hornet. The exit wound with a 50 grain round looked to be about the size of a tennis ball. I am conjecturing that the 35 grain round with a higher velocity will do the trick. Also, I have read a review of the 35 grain round shot into a gell block. The rounds exploded to the size of a "fuzzy baseball" inside the block.

One important aspect, price! The Hornady rounds can be obtained for < $.70 per round. The 46 grain Winchesters are > $1 per round.

Your input will be much appreciated.

By the way, I do not load my own rounds. If I purchase any more equipment, my wife will take one of my very own weapons and turn it on me. Besides, I only fire < 200 rounds per year out of 4 different weapons. I sight them in for the appropriate season and then put them away. For this deer season for example, I sighted in my black powder rifle last spring. In the fall I took it out of the box for deer season, fired my one shot, took my one buck, cleaned the weapon and then packed it away for next spring.

Last edited by rlmx; 01-22-2012 at 06:29 PM.