Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Custom Built Savage 220f >

Custom Built Savage 220f

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Built Savage 220f

Old 01-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Custom Built Savage 220f

I have the factory standard one, and its great. I was thinking of purchasing another one, and having it custom out, in other words PIMP it out, LOL!!!! My friend was thinking of doing the same, and he is big into firearms and has many friends in the field of custom firearms, he sent me info on the places that do the work, and info on what he thinks should be done. If I do it, I will do it this summer
Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

What do you have in mind? I won't buy a gun that can't be pimped out so I know where your coming from.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is what my friend said:

First off, if I was putting money into building a custom 220 I would start with a stainless steel model. I am very hopeful that the stainless bolt will resolve most of the bolt binding, chincey feeling that is present in the bolts on the current versions. More importantly, even if the new bolts are not as slick as they should be from the start, they should be extremely easy to polish and then coat making the action much smoother than they currently come from the factory.

I would then send the gun off to Karl Feldcamp at Kampfelds, (http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/ ), to have him work on the gun. At the same time I would have Kevin Rayhill of Stockade Gunstocks, (http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html ), send one of his “Woodchuck” stocks to Karl as an upgrade from the factory stock,( though I would speak with Kevin first to ensure he thinks he can handle the feeding right as this would ideally convert the gun to a 2 shot blind magazine configuration.) . I would then have Kevin polish the bolt and action and have him cerakote the entire gun in my choice of colors, possibly even fluting the bolt with the flutes contrasted in different color than the bolt body. Also if the stainless version does not already come with a stainless trigger guard I would upgrade the factory plastic guard with a stainless one from Brownells which would also be coated. Once the gun was coated I would have Kevin Pillar and Glass bed that barreled action in the Woodchuck stock. I would top the gun with a set of Warne or Talley QD rings and a 3-9x or 10x scope.

Depending on the line of sight provided from the stock, if necessary,y I would add a Beartooth comb raising kit to ensure eye alignment with a proper cheek weld. In fact that is the only thing I would really change is that I would prefer to start with a stock with a Monte Carlo cheek piece to address that issue from the beginning, however no one current makes one.

That would probably be about it and would not be all that expensive considering it has the potential to be comparable to a Tar hunt in some aspects.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if the Tar-Hunt will cost more. My friend has a 870 (12ga) had work done by Tar-Hunt, at the time I hunted with my11-87 also 12ga., mine wasn't custom out, just standard from the factory with the rifle/cantilever barrel. We both used the same ammo, Lightfield EXP 2-3/4", mine shot better then his. Not knocking Tar-Hunt, but I wouldn't spend the cash he did to have the work with crappy results
Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
Not sure if the Tar-Hunt will cost more. My friend has a 870 (12ga) had work done by Tar-Hunt, at the time I hunted with my11-87 also 12ga., mine wasn't custom out, just standard from the factory with the rifle/cantilever barrel. We both used the same ammo, Lightfield EXP 2-3/4", mine shot better then his. Not knocking Tar-Hunt, but I wouldn't spend the cash he did to have the work with crappy results
IMO the rem 870 tarhunt vs the savage 220 I'd get the 220!

as for the real tar hunt bolt action slug guns...which look like the savage 220 btw, ie a bolt action slug gun... for $2-3k vs. $400??

the tar hunt better shoot better, but do I want to pay 2k more for a gun that might shoot slightly a tad better?? no. if money were no object though, of course, I'm sure finish is nicer too.

as for pimping out a 220, I saw one online, pictures, with a new bolt, and maybe a few other features, I Could see spending a little on some of these features, but definitely would not change much, stock? I don't think so, and especially if it shoots great... I'd fear making it shoot worse! ha.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

that is why I will not do it to my current 220, I'm getting 3/4" groups at 100yds, and still 4" high above the center at 100yds. If I do it, it will be on a new 220f, or if I find a good deal on a used one