HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Buck Shot Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/356366-buck-shot-question.html)

Chuck7 01-04-2012 03:07 PM

again..the least of you has more ballistic knowledge than I..I do appreciate the time that you all took in sharing. Probably out of 100 hunts I may use buckshot once..only in extremecases..Most times I use my Marlin 30-30 for semi thick stuff from 0- 75 yds and places up to 100- and beyond my 270 Remington 700..

jerseyhunter 01-10-2012 06:50 AM

I've killed many deer w/buckshot before the use of slugs. Never lost one and all dropped within yds. most on the spot with the exception of one that tried and made it 40 yds before I was able to climb down and finish it. All shots were in thick stuff and most at 30 yds.
My buddy has dropped all his deer on the spot including a 60 yd shot last year. You need to patern the gun and see which brand and choke it likes. The newer shot and buffer granules inside make longer shots more possible than say 25 yrs ago. I've seen a deer drive where the guy dropped one at over 90 yds. luck maybe but he routinely drops them at 60 using an ultra full turkey choke and 3 1/2" shells. Years ago you couldn't use a full choke as the pellets would squeeze together and fly off in opposite directions upon leaving the barrel. All this being said I find slugs ruin less meat, is more precise and gives you longer shot opurtunities. But now I use my muzzy. But if on a drive or hunting where I can't see more than 50 yds I wouldn't hesitate to grab my SG with 00 &000.
Good Luck Chuck, no pun intended.
Ps in Southern Jersey where it's thick stuff, I've read they use no. 4 buck first to clear the way followed by 00 for the kill. Not for me but to each their own.

Chuck7 01-13-2012 02:16 AM

Thanks jersey,

Tomorrow is my last day..it's very thick..I wished my shotgun was patterned ..but sonce it's not..I;ll climb higher and use my open sited Tru Glo 30-30 Marlin..It's tough siting in my 870 because I also use it for gobblers..I have the Gobble Dot sites on them and I'm afraid if I keep messing with them I'll wear out the screws..

Right now my 870 is set up nicely for slugs using the improved cylinder..but over the summer I'll try some various buckshots because many of my hot spots are 30 yd shots maximum.

Nomercy448 01-13-2012 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck7 (Post 3900801)
It's tough siting in my 870 because I also use it for gobblers..I have the Gobble Dot sites on them and I'm afraid if I keep messing with them I'll wear out the screws.

One option you might consider, since you're concerned about adjusting your sights too much, and are clearly dual purposing your shotty...

Since your Gobble Dots are barrel mounted (both sights ride the vent rib), you have the option of adding a recevier mount, like a B-Square Saddle Mount, and mounting a different sight/scope.

I use the same Benelli Supernova for Turkey and Coyotes, for coyotes, I have a B-square with a Tru-Glo red dot sight installed, for turkeys, I have TruGlo Tru Point Xtreme fiber-O sights mounted on the vent rib for turkeys. I used 2 part auto epoxy to "bed" the saddle mount to the receiver (took a couple tries, couldn't get the mount off the first time!) so it's consistent every time I install it. It was PRETTY close without the epoxy as long as I sort of "seated" the mount rearward, and torqued the screws the same each time. Two screws, a choke, and some ammo, and I can swap from a turkey call to a coyote call LITERALLY in under 5min.

Another option, of course, would be to buy a 2nd barrel and use barrel mounted sights on both, but it's a LOT more expensive to do it this way ($150-200 bucks for a new barrel, $20 for a B-square saddle mount).

chippedit 01-13-2012 09:22 AM

I use Buck for coyotes. Use a super full choke actually called a predator choke in a 870 express mag. I patterned all Buck shells from #4 to OOO at 40 yrds. and got the best reults from #4 and OOO buck. The rest were hit and miss with a good chance of non-lethal wounds. Sometimes the OOO Buck will destroy pelts, depending on the range.
I also found out that the OO Buck shell is primarily used for close range self-defense, as it opens up quickly past ten yrds.

chippedit 01-13-2012 09:33 AM

Size Nominal diameter Pellets/oz
0000 ("quadruple-aught") .38" (9.7 mm) 5
000 ("triple-aught") .36" (9.1 mm) 6
00 ("double-aught") .33" (8.4 mm) 8
0 ("aught") .32" (8.1 mm) 9
1 .30" (7.6 mm) 10
2 .27" (6.9 mm) 15
3 .25" (6.4 mm) 18
4 .24" (6 mm) 21

As U can see OO is a load of 33 Cal balls. The question is, will 33Cal lead balls kill a buck if hit in the lunges. The question should be, will I be able to hit a buck in the lunges at 50 yrds. with OO.
Based on your pattern tests, what do you think?

nchawkeye 01-13-2012 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by chippedit (Post 3900914)
I use Buck for coyotes. Use a super full choke actually called a predator choke in a 870 express mag. I patterned all Buck shells from #4 to OOO at 40 yrds. and got the best reults from #4 and OOO buck. The rest were hit and miss with a good chance of non-lethal wounds. Sometimes the OOO Buck will destroy pelts, depending on the range.
I also found out that the OO Buck shell is primarily used for close range self-defense, as it opens up quickly past ten yrds.

Use a more open choke, especially with the larger sizes of buckshot...If you pinch them down too much, they spray and don't pattern...

Nomercy448 01-16-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 3900908)
I use the same Benelli Supernova for Turkey and Coyotes. For coyotes, I have a B-square with a Tru-Glo red dot sight installed, for turkeys, I have TruGlo Tru Point Xtreme fiber-O sights mounted on the vent rib for turkeys...

...Two screws, a choke, and some ammo, and I can swap from a turkey call to a coyote call LITERALLY in under 5min.

I know I've posted it on other threads, but for turkeys, I'm using the rib mounted Tru-Glo Tru-Point Xtreme sights, a Primos Tightwad choke, and Winchester Supreme HV Turkey 3 1/2" 5 shot. For Coyotes, I slap on the B-square mount with the Tru-Glo Red Dot sight, then swap the choke to either a Carlson's Dead Coyote (new to me) with either Carlsons Dead Coyote 3 1/2" Bismuth T shot, or Winchester Supreme HD Coyote 3" Bismuth BB shot, or a Light Modified (Benelli) with Winchester 3" Super-X 00 buckshot (same load I've been using for over 15yrs). I've mixed in a few 3 1/2" 00buck's in the last few years as well.

Again, the whole change takes about 5min, and I have fantastic range for either coyotes OR turkeys, with the ability to swap "zero" quickly and effortlessly between my two chosen loads.