Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What size gun for a female >

What size gun for a female

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What size gun for a female

Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Spike

Default What size gun for a female

I was wondering on a gun for my girlfriend. She's 5'3" and medium build.I want a 20 gauge for her. She has never shot a gun before. Will be only hunting turkey. I was looking at a youth model benelli nova but wasn't sure if I should go with a regular size. I know my beretta extrema is way to big. Just wondered your opinions on youth or adult size. Thanks. I'd like to take her to see but it's a surprise.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check out Browning's line called "Micro Midas";

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=120784
Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Check out Browning's line called "Micro Midas";

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=120784
Nice gun but out of my price range for her first gun. Not sure if she will even enjoy it or not. I'm not a mossberg fan but may go that route just in case.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

When it comes to gun fitting a surprise is probably not the best idea, this is something she will use for years, or not , and how it fits may be the thing that tells how long she will even bother.
Better to find people in the area that will permit her trying different guns, or fess up and take her along for the fitting.Even a 20 ga that is poor fitting can be painful an quickly turn off shooters. We need all we can get and if your wife / girlfriend shoots,odds are the rest of your family will join in without question.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll echo the notion that ANY firearm purchase intended for a female be accompanied by extensive "fitting" - if they're not comfortable with it, they're not going to use (nor will they enjoy) it. What YOU decide best for her isn't necessarily what SHE will agree is best for her.

Let her try some on. Length of Pull is particularly important for obvious reasons. After shooting both for awhle, my wife isn't convinced that a 20 gauge Nova Youth I started her with recoils any less than the used, cut-down 12 gauge Remington 1100 she found on her own at the trap club. And, she shoots the 12 much better than she did the 20. Confidence is valuable.

I've noticed quite a few dedicated turkey guns sporting the collapsible, M4-style stocks as standard . I know these stocks are also available aftermarket (Knoxx?) for the Remington 870. I'd be tempted to have her try something like that as well. You may be able to get her into a 12 gauge 870 Express with an adjustable stock for not much more than you'd get into a 20 Nova Youth for? I own both the Nova and the 870. The Express is rougher than the Wingmaster, but is still more reliable than the Nova has been. The Nova will make a trip to the 'smith at some point here to correct the problem it has (and many others apparently have as well - google it) with light primer strike misfires.