Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
weatherby or savage >

weatherby or savage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

weatherby or savage

Old 12-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default weatherby or savage

This has probably been asked before but here goes I am trying to decide between a Weatherby Vanguard S2 and a Savage 116 Weather Warrior the caliber will be 270 Win. I know the obvious differences are the Weatherby is blue and the Savage is stainless my concern is accuracy I know they are both accurate but I would like some personal experience/opinions on which one is better thanks chad
Old 12-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of a Savage 16 FCSS Weather Warrior stainless in .204.

Nuff said !!!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sold a Savage Weather Warrior in 270 WSM a few years ago. The accuracy was reasonable but the fit and finish was lacking, IMO. The factory synthetic stock was the flimsiest stock I have ever seen on anything other than a toy gun. I have never owned a Vanguard but have come close to buying one several times.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

So you know; the Weather Warrior 16/116 with the accutrigger which is the envy of the industry's stock triggers, also come with the "accustock".

Just so you know.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The S2 stainless is out.... ie apples to apples, I'd want to compare both in person and see how they feel.

Some guns look great on paper/online then you put them in your hands and you think darn, this looked so nice online, and it's a complete piece of crap!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
So you know; the Weather Warrior 16/116 with the accutrigger which is the envy of the industry's stock triggers, also come with the "accustock".

Just so you know.
Actually, not all the Weather Warrior models have the AccuStock. The 16/116 FSS has the "standard" synthetic stock.

www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Last edited by VAhuntr; 12-23-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know about the Weatherby, by my vote goes for Savage. They are wickedly accurate, giving you sub-MOA groups.

No lie... My old Savage 110 in .308 did this at 100 yards with a secure bench rest. I then clicked the elevation knob up 4 clicks, so I'm 1" high at 100 yards, and I still get the same groupings!

Savage rifles...

Last edited by ButchA; 04-25-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'd opt for the Savage.

I personally haven't seen any real lag in "fit" for Savages, even in the budget friendly models, that do sacrifice on "finish". Guys lump that together and say "the savages are poor on fit and finish", which is absolutely NOT true. The Vangaurd finishes might be nicer (debatable) than the Edges, I wouldn't personally say they're any nicer than the Weather Warrior line though, and the FIT on the Savages is much better.

Even if everything else were equal, I'd take the Savage simply for the Accu-trigger. Bar-none the most versatile and shooter friendly production trigger on the market. The Accu-stock is also a nice bonus for synthetic stock rifles. I would definitely make sure in buying a Weather Warrior that I got one with the Accu-stock (not much more expensive, I think $50 last I checked).

Frankly, the Vangaurd accuracy guarantee is a joke. Who cares if a rifle can shoot 1MOA when it's locked in a receiver mount (NOT IN THE STOCK) and fired at the factory for group? That doesn't mean it will EVER group that well in the real world. Basically, Vanguard "guarantees" that the target they shipped with the rifle is a 1MOA group. Nothing more, nothing less. Savage ALSO carries an accuracy guarantee of 1MOA, however, they mean it. Their rifles will shoot 1MOA, stocked and over a bench, or they'll fix it. However, I've never bought a Savage that shot "that poorly". I currently have 5 production Savage boltguns that shot better than 1/2MOA "Factory Fresh" (including my wife's new Savage 16 Bear Hunter .300WSM).
Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Personally, I'd opt for the Savage.

I personally haven't seen any real lag in "fit" for Savages, even in the budget friendly models, that do sacrifice on "finish". Guys lump that together and say "the savages are poor on fit and finish", which is absolutely NOT true. The Vangaurd finishes might be nicer (debatable) than the Edges, I wouldn't personally say they're any nicer than the Weather Warrior line though, and the FIT on the Savages is much better.

Even if everything else were equal, I'd take the Savage simply for the Accu-trigger. Bar-none the most versatile and shooter friendly production trigger on the market. The Accu-stock is also a nice bonus for synthetic stock rifles. I would definitely make sure in buying a Weather Warrior that I got one with the Accu-stock (not much more expensive, I think $50 last I checked).

Frankly, the Vangaurd accuracy guarantee is a joke. Who cares if a rifle can shoot 1MOA when it's locked in a receiver mount (NOT IN THE STOCK) and fired at the factory for group? That doesn't mean it will EVER group that well in the real world. Basically, Vanguard "guarantees" that the target they shipped with the rifle is a 1MOA group. Nothing more, nothing less. Savage ALSO carries an accuracy guarantee of 1MOA, however, they mean it. Their rifles will shoot 1MOA, stocked and over a bench, or they'll fix it. However, I've never bought a Savage that shot "that poorly". I currently have 5 production Savage boltguns that shot better than 1/2MOA "Factory Fresh" (including my wife's new Savage 16 Bear Hunter .300WSM).
The fit and finish was not very good on the Wether Warrior I had. I understand that is a sample size of one but it is my experience. Admittedly, had Savage put a better stock on this rifle I might have a better opinion.

I have a Savage bolt action, .22 rimfire and it is the only rifle in my collection that must be continually pulled from the safe and oiled to keep from rusting. I have since just left it out of the safe and stuck it behind a door and that seems to have stopped that issue. The Winchesters, Brownings, Remingtons, Glocks, Rugers, Taurus, Beretta's, Sigs, and TC's don't rust in my safe the way the Savage did.

IMO the accutrigger is a good trigger but I could take it or leave it on a rifle. I have found the triggers on the X-Bolt, the new M70's, and the TC Icon to be very good and I personally shoot and like them better.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Apparently not too many Vanguard owners responding here, so I'll fill in. For starters, I don't own a Savage centerfire. Given that the Savage and the Vanguard are often within the same market segment, and also based on my experience to date with the cheapest Vanguard there is out there (synthetic-stocked, Wal-mart version), I don't think there's a compelling reason in the world - or the "accutrigger" - that would entice me away from another Vanguard if I were in the market for another rifle within that price point.

My Vanguard was printing less than 1 MOA before there was any guarantee, and that's off sandbags and packs, not from a machine rest.

It'd be interesting to hear from someone who owns both the Savage and the Vanguard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.