Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Montana Rifle Company input... >

Montana Rifle Company input...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Montana Rifle Company input...

Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Montana Rifle Company input...

As I've been searching through custom rifle builders for my next build, I came across Montana Rifle Company.

I did a Google search for reviews, and honestly came up with some not so great ones.

I contacted Jeff Sipes (co-owner and over sales) and spoke with him about what I found. He stated that MRC initially started selling actions for $350 to be shipped to a gunsmith and polished up. Seems that some of his buyers didn't understand that these were "rough" actions that were meant to be worked on and the company got some bad press from it.

They now product custom/semi-custom rifles along with their actions and barrels.
I've been looking at their stainless/synthetic lineup, and I must say that I'm impressed.

Being a lefty and liking a CRF/Mauser type action is not a good combo. MRC offers left handed, M70 style actions (with some improvements) in stainless steel.....VERY hard to find.

I'm looking at the Ridgeline and Timberline models. All stainless actions and barrels, cerakote finished, with the actions "slicked" up and barrels hand lapped. I would really like a .30-06....I know....BORING....but so incredibly versitile. These rifles with a 24" #2 contour barrel would weigh about 6lbs. 7oz. without scope. I figure I can get a scoped weight of about 7 1/2lbs. with a Leupy 3.5-10x40 on there.

These rifles are about $1,000 less than most other custom models I've looked at, AND have the CRF action that I prefer on a hunting rifle.

Has anyone had any RECENT experience with this company and their production or custom rifles?

I also sent Jeff a couple email with questions I forgot to ask over the phone, and he responded within 30 minutes answering ALL of my questions and also sending me additional photos of the rifles and stock/cerakote color options.

Everything about this company impresses me so far, but I just have very little feedback from people about their products since they've started shipping slicked up actions and custom rifles.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

SCHOOLCRAFT
Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

I have no experience with their rifles or actions, but I have one of their barrels. It is a 28" barrel chambered in 6mm-06. It is easy to clean and shoots great. I've also shot a MRC stainless barrel on a scoped ruger redhawk in .44. Again easy to clean and very accurate.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever happened with Ultra Light Arms ?

"I figure I can get a scoped weight of about 7 1/2lbs."

I though you wanted a mountain rifle ?

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-16-2011 at 10:07 AM.