Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil pad

Old 11-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Spike

Default Recoil pad

I brought a 300 mag in a light weight rifle (Rem 700). What is the best recoil reducing shoulder pad? Any other tips for general shooting, non hunting.

I thought it best to have a shoulder pad when doing a lot of practice shooting. I will go without when hunting.

Do some of the recoil pads show a big difference in reduction over some of the others?

I am also thinking about putting a break on the gun if the recoil is still too much but won't unless absolutely necessary.

Which is the best break?

Thank you!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best recoil pad is a muzzel brake. LMAO!!

The second best recoil pad is a Limbsaver. I like them a lot. You can also buy a pad that you wear instead of the rifle. Alot of guys wear them at the range.

If you can handle the noise a muzzle brake is the way to go. It will take away up to 50 percent of the recoil if you get the right one. I like the looks and the performance of the Holland brake myself.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

No muzzle breaks for me & I move away from anyone at the range who uses one (way too loud) !

I use a pachmayr decelerator recoil pads on my rifles and shotguns.

Often, I also cut down the stocks to shorten the LOP before installing the new pad.

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-08-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

One myth about the muzzle brake is....it takes away performance from your rifle/bullet performance. That is just flat out wrong. You won't lose any performance at all.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
No muzzle breaks for me & I move away from anyone who uses one !
I think you are missing the boat. After shooting my buddies 22.250 with a brake and watching the hits on prarie dogs, I'm getting a brake on my 22.250. A brake on my 300 RUM made it a pleasure to shoot. I could shoot it all day. (If I could afford it) Brakes are great on heavy recoiling rifles and light recoiling rifles. I wish I would have learned about them 40 years ago.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

How do you guys stand using a muzzle break when hunting? At the range you can wear ear plugs, but I don't wear them hunting. I got a Browning BAR .30-06 with the BOSS muzzlebreak years ago. The first time I shot a deer it split my ears. I had ringing like I had been at a concert for hours. I immediately replaced the break with a solid piece and can now hear the action work and the empty brass hit the leaves below my stand. I will never again use a muzzle break on a hunting rifle.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just get a magnum Past recoil (strap on your shoulder) pad for the range. For hunting, recoil is seldom an issue.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kick-Ezz pads are great!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found the Limbsavers to be the best at reducing recoil but I like the Pachmyr Decellerator better. They reduce recoil almost as well as the Limbsaver but seem to be a little more rugged.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
Just get a magnum Past recoil (strap on your shoulder) pad for the range. For hunting, recoil is seldom an issue.
Excellent advice, though a recoil pad on the rifle can still be used in conjunction with the strap-on PAST pad for multiple rounds at the range. Though I must admit I don't own any real heavy recoiling rifles.

I've shot braked rifles from my buddies collection. BUT, I must wear plugs and muffs to keep my ears safe.