Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Quality 30-06 >

Quality 30-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quality 30-06

Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Spike

Default Quality 30-06

Looking for a quality new firearm that's chambered in 30-06, can be passed down for generations, mid level price range, walnut stock, and blued barrel.

Remington 700 CDL: I've been seeing a lot of chatter about quality concerns with Remington in general. Last word, Classic rifle...

Browning X-Mark Medallion: A lot of newish stuff on this rifle. But if it's well implemented that's ok. A bit too much plastic for something to be handed down for generations I think. Made in Japan I think? I got nothin against Japan. It just isn't the USA. Last word, Inovative...

Kimber 84L Classic Select Grade: Kind of my favorite at the moment. Classic looks, quality, made in good ol' USA...

Sako 85 Classic: I like it. But it's a little out of my price range. Made in Finland- see comment about Japan. Last word, kinda at the top of my price range.

Weatherby Vanguard Sporter: Don't know much about it? Last word, How does it stack up to all the rest of these models??

Ruger M77 Hawkeye Standard: Don't know much about it? Last word, How does it stack up to all the rest of these models??

Winchester Model 70: Don't know much about it? Last word, How does it stack up to all the rest of these models??

Finally. I had a Mossberg 500 shotgun when I was a kid. I didn't think it was as nice as the Remington 870s my buddies carried. So I'm leaving them out because I hold a grudge. I'm also leaving Savage out because I don't like their accutrigger.

Big decision. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Kyle
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe a CZ?
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-american/
checkout the wood version...

Kimbers look great on their site at least... great wood...

sako's a quality gun for sure...

winchesters are suppose to be making some nice rifles...and good wood on some that I saw... maybe in a supergrade? featherweight stainless? Weren't they bought out by FN? or a finn company? I hear quality is as good as ever.

Maybe consider a wood with stainless rifle? wouldn't have to worry about blueing going bad, and maybe coating the stainless to give it the look of blue....

Last edited by salukipv1; 11-03-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Out of the choices you gave, you cannot go wrong. They are all worthy of a great hunting rifle. My personal prefrence and the one I think is the best deal for the money, is the Remington 700. That and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee. They are all great rifles.

I think the least accurate out of the group is the Ruger. That being said, my brush gun is a Ruger International 30.06 with a 18 1/2 inch barrel. It is more accurate than any 30/30 I have ever shot.

Pick the one you like best and buy it. Shoot it and it should be plenty accurate for a hunting rifle. If it's not, make the changes needed or sell it and try again.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Spike

I was shooting my soon-to-be-father-in-laws little CZ 17hmr a while back. Fun little gun. Good accuracy. I will consider them as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I forgot to say is, WELCOME!!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Spike

Thanks! The 700 has a following behind it for sure. The aftermarket for it is huge as well. Never have a hard time finding parts.

My Sisters Husband (who manufactures high end big bore air rifles, so his opinion I highly regard) Said he is a fan of the Rem 700. In his words "I'm a Remington [700] man. If our service men stake their life on them it should be just fine for my hunting adventures."

I do think our service men might get something a little higher end than what I can get at the local Wal-Mart gun case At least I'd hope so...
Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

As the others have said, you have a pretty good list to choose from so it will really boil down to personal preference.

1. Remington 700 CDL...Had one in 270 Winchester....accuracy was ok and the overall quality was fair. The stock was inletted off center from the factory but Remington replaced for free.

2. Had a Browning X-Bolt Hunter....This was one of the most accurate rifles I have owned to date and was not picky about bullet weights. It is made in Japan. The only plastic I remember on this rifle was the magazine. Sold it to fund another rifle.

3. Kimber 84L....Loved the look and feel of these rifles and almost bought one but another rifle on your list(see Winchester M70) felt better to me.

4. Sako....Would love to have one but have only handled a few in the stores. Would probably be a great piece to hand down to the grandkids.

5. Weatherby Vanguard...Excellent rifles and I personally like the feel of them. Keep in mind though, the Vanguard is also made in Japan by Howa, since being made in the USA is important to you.

6. Ruger M77...Had an older M77 MKII "All Weather" a few years back. Great rifle that seems like would take a lot of abuse. Three position safety and controlled round feed...lots of pluses here. Not as accurate as I would like.

7. Winchester M70....Just recently purchased an FN made M70 Extreme Weather. So far it has proven accurate and the quality looks to be excellent. It had everything I was looking for in a rifle and felt great in my hands...so I went with it over the Kimber.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-03-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default Quality 30-06

The list you have covers the area very well. However, having a rifle to pass down for generations being in the mix I would have to lean towards the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. This is the classic American rifle. The new production guns are finished well and I've fired 2 of them recently in the Featherweight configuration. One in 300 WSM & the other in 270 Win. Both rifles were very accurate & the trigger was great right out of the box.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Spike

Weatherby is made by Howa. Good to Know. I thought about listing Howa.

I handled the X-bolt yesterday in store. I saw that the mag was the only thing plastic. Mags are easily replaced I know. The gun is still high on my list.

Knowing a little bit about other places in the world helps as well. The Fins are some of the most highly educated people on the planet. Followed by the Japanese. Close third is Canadians. We are down the list a little ways, but we won't talk about that. So buying a rifle made in either Finland or Japan would probably be a wise choice.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TowerRigger
Weatherby is made by Howa. Good to Know. I thought about listing Howa.

I handled the X-bolt yesterday in store. I saw that the mag was the only thing plastic. Mags are easily replaced I know. The gun is still high on my list.

Knowing a little bit about other places in the world helps as well. The Fins are some of the most highly educated people on the planet. Followed by the Japanese. Close third is Canadians. We are down the list a little ways, but we won't talk about that. So buying a rifle made in either Finland or Japan would probably be a wise choice.

The Vanguard series are the ones produced by Howa for Weatherby. The other Weatherby's, I assume are still made by Weatherby.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-03-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.