Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka .243

Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tikka .243

I have a question about tikka's and there accuracy
First let me start off by saying I have previously owned several tikkas and never an issue
Purchased a .243 couple weeks ago and the groups are inconsistent, with several types of factory ammo remington,hornady, winchester, federal, the core lokts were the closest in consistency but still shot a large group of 2.5 to 3 inches
After this weekend I was ready to sell the rifle and got to thinking about the scopes and rings
Changed all of that and will soon try to see if that was the issue but the scopes are both Nikon along with the rings that came with the rifle - anyone have any issues with accuracy and tikka
and btw I was shooting from sandbags with a consistent rest, my .308 shot a 5 shot group could cover with a quarter at the same yardage - what gives did i get a lemon
Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like you said the first thing i'd do is swap out the scope with one that i know is good.I had the same thing happen on a marlin 336,turned out to be a bum scope.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've never heard of that problem with a Tikka; however, I have heard of several problems with Nikon scopes.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Spike

I'd rate it at 90% chance you have a bad scope, loose rings, or both.

I have a Tikka in .243. An accuracy problem like that would be very unlikely to suddenly develop. Since it does not appear that you handload, it's a pretty safe assumption that you didn't damage the chamber or barrel with a bad powder measure or some other charging issue that resulted in over-powered loads.

I'm going to assume that you don't use this rifle for high-volume shooting such that you've run 10,000 rounds through it in the last year? Obviously if you've spent the last couple of years blazing away with hot loads at huge numbers of p-dogs, it's possible that you've shot the barrel out. I find this highly unlikely as no one short of Warren Buffet could afford to do that using factory ammo.

The only other thing I can think of is if the stock has somehow been attached wrong such that it's not free-floating. This is a remote possibility, but worth checking.

Grouse
Old 11-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well as a Beretta Rep, I can tell you that each and every Tikka is test fired to verify the 3 shot accuracy guarantee. If it does not meet the required accuracy, it is returned to the production line. So I would suspect the scope.
I sent an inquiry to Beretta to see if they could supply me with the bullet weights used for accuracy verification. Will let you know when I receive an answer.
For the .243 I would suspect they used either 87 or 100 gr bullets.

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-02-2011 at 05:15 PM.