Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has anyone here shot .300 Whisper? >

Has anyone here shot .300 Whisper?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has anyone here shot .300 Whisper?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Spike

Default Has anyone here shot .300 Whisper?

I heard about this cartridge in a silencers forum and was interested in its performance. Evidently Thompson-Center owns the rights to make rifles for it. However, I haven't seen many production rifles made for the cartridge. Has anyone shot this cartridge, or do you know a rifle made for it?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the 300 Whisper is a 221 Fireball case necked up to 30 caliber. You can form the 300 Whisper case from a 223 case but alot of cutom barrel makers advise against it. They say the brass is too thick on the 223 case. And you also need to shorten the 223 case so you have to take some extra steps.

Personally I have never loaded any Whisper ammo from 223 brass so what I have said here is from what I have read. Not what I have done. I have only used 221 brass. I hated to post because RR knows what he is talking about. And maybe what I have read from the custom smiths is wrong. So please accept my apology RR if I am wrong. But I do know for sure that the original cartridge was a 221 FfireBall necked up.

The 223 is the cheaper way to go. But alot of good smiths advise against it.

I won't argue about your TC reference. But I never heard that before. Not sure how they could own the rights to a wild cat??

The rifle perfoms great with the very large for caliber bullets. I have loaded for one(with the FireBall brass). We shot the 220 grain Sierra's. I have even seen some reloaders reload the bullet backwards and put the base pointing out instead of the tip.

The bigger the bullet the better to gain as much power as you can, and stilll keep your speed sub-sonic.

Cast bulets also do very well in the Whisper. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 10-29-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's not TC but rather J.D. Jones of SSK industries that is the brain behind the whisper line of cartridges and is the owner of the trademark name "whisper". Jones licensed the use of the Whisper name and actual whisper dimensions to TC.