Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Some things I've learned the hard/expensive way.... >

Some things I've learned the hard/expensive way....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Some things I've learned the hard/expensive way....

Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

I got a deer in the freezer shot at 300 yards that would disagree with you on being shot with a sucky nikon scope they work just fine for me. It holds zero and has nice clarity. It may not be has nice as a leupold or zeiss but it is way better than a wally special.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I shoot those blue box 270win-130gr, they group the best in my rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a muley out to 500yds with that load.

No need for a super premium bullet when a good quality bullet is being used, ie I don't need a TSX for deer with my 270 when a core lokt will get the job done well.

I think using the correct bullet becomes much more important when you're marginalizing the cartridge/game being hunted. ie an elk with a 270 I'd much rather have a TSX than a blue box federals, but then again a blue box 300win.mag federal would be perfectly fine probably.

Magnum-itus does exist I think, but so does shooting tiny/dinky cartridges for game too big. Doesn't take a 300mag to kill a deer at 200yds, but I wouldn't go on a brown bear hunt with a 270 either.

Sometimes guys just have a favorite rifle/cartridge, my cousin would probably take his 375H&H on every future hunt if he could.
+2 those Federal Powershoks shoot sub moa for me and just shoot very well in the majority of the guns I've tried them in. I don't see a problem with them, and they are more than enough bullet for deer, and probably anything else on this planet.

That said, I don't shoot them all that often mostly because I don't shoot much factory ammo, but they do shoot amazingly well for me at a cheap price and I'd have no problem at all shooting them in a custom rifle, or taking them hunting in most any scenario I go in.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1

For me it was Nikon scopes, i got 3 Nikon Buckmasters w/ SF and a Nikon Monarch. None of them will shoot the box or return to zero. I didn't realize how bad they were till i tried to shoot at a 300yd target and adjust for my drop rate and it didn't move from my 100yd zero then jumped 6" over the 10 ring with only 1" more elevation added to it.
I'm kind of wondering about this on mine. I've got a couple Monarchs and I like the scopes, and when sighting them in I did a box test and it passed with flying colors and seemed repeatable. I took it out twice and shot long range with it dialing in for 40-50" drop the second time and I was pretty constantly adjusting the turrets. I set the turrets back to 0 and came back and put the gun up. The next time I went shooting I shot at 100 yards again and to my surprise the thing was shooting 2.5" right and it was either low or high by about an inch. I can't remember which. I was shocked to say the least. I dialed it back in and did another box test which it passed and it seemed like it was returning to zero. I'm not sure what the deal is here. I almost think that after repeated adjustments it wasn't returning to zero like it should, but I can't prove that's what it was. The whole thing just seemed weird though and it made me doubt the scopes ability to track well.

That said, the scopes have been durable for me and they always seem to stay zeroed after sighting them in if I don't make adjustments, and they are pretty solid scopes for the money. I think there are better scopes for the price, but these are pretty decent. I do think the Burris FFII's are a better scope and have better glass than the Monarchs at a cheaper price.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess we all have different tastes...I've owned the same Ruger M-77 since 1980...She came with a Bushnell Scopechief which was a $130 scope back then...I started with 100gr Remington CoreLokts, used her through the mid-90s and put a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 on her...

I've tried most factory loadings for deer...Ended up coming back to 100gr CoreLokts...I've killed at least 300 deer with this rifle with about 70% falling to the CoreLokts...

How are you going to argue with success like that??? No magnum, no high end scope and using regular cup and core ammo???
Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I guess we all have different tastes...I've owned the same Ruger M-77 since 1980...She came with a Bushnell Scopechief which was a $130 scope back then...I started with 100gr Remington CoreLokts, used her through the mid-90s and put a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 on her...

I've tried most factory loadings for deer...Ended up coming back to 100gr CoreLokts...I've killed at least 300 deer with this rifle with about 70% falling to the CoreLokts...

How are you going to argue with success like that??? No magnum, no high end scope and using regular cup and core ammo???
you can't. ive been shooting guns since i was 6, and am now 16. yea i know, i don't have a whole lot of experience with every caliber out there, but i know my fair share. I have a marlin xl7 .270, shoot core lokts, and have a bushnell, maybe 70$ dollar scope. I group an inch at 100, an inch. I could care less if anyone says i don't have the best scope, gun or ammo out there when it hits like that. like you said, you can't argue with success like that.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR, don't BS us, you are in the top .5% of all shooters...You like long range shooting so that's what you are set up for...

The average joe has a problem consistently scoring at 300 yards...I've found when we have guests the problem with accuracy starts to show from 125-150 yards...Most can't make a clean kill on a deer at 200...I know that's a chip shot for you, but you take a .270 and 130gr CoreLokts and 300 yards will do the job every time...
Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
you can't. ive been shooting guns since i was 6, and am now 16. yea i know, i don't have a whole lot of experience with every caliber out there, but i know my fair share. I have a marlin xl7 .270, shoot core lokts, and have a bushnell, maybe 70$ dollar scope. I group an inch at 100, an inch. I could care less if anyone says i don't have the best scope, gun or ammo out there when it hits like that. like you said, you can't argue with success like that.
Probably not, but that same setup may not hold its zero after a rough ride down one of our forest roads to hunt elk here, or if you slip and fall, and it gets banged on accident. I think if you had the chance to see first hand, how much better a $400 scope is, you would change your mind. At 16, thats not feasible for most, it wasnt for me at your age. When get a chance though, try shooting one. We have a XL7 in wood, very early production, in '06. Nice rifle, other then the stock came loose. Threw a cheapo simmons I had laying around on it. Looks like a shotgun target when you get done. Right now, I blame the scope, solely because Ive had it on two other guns, and they never grouped that good. I think my 300RUM killed it honestly,lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I were to lay out the money for that kind of hunt, I'd take my .54 flintlock...
If I had to take a centerfire, it would be my .243...It's the only centerfire I have owned since 1980 and I've killed plenty of deer and even a few black bears with...
I know what it will do, why change???

But, I'm not the type to pay a bunch of money for someone else to take me hunting...I'm the one taking others hunting and trying to help them, it's just my nature...

I have raised 3 daughters, put them through college and payed for 2 weddings...Shelling out the bucks for a fancy out of state hunt ain't happening...
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Nikon scopes just suck. I'd probably give you a couple hundred bucks for all of them. I don't really need them but I would do it to help you out.
That sounds tempting, I've been wanting to get a Leupold VX-III CDS for my 280AI.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
That sounds tempting, I've been wanting to get a Leupold VX-III CDS for my 280AI.
I love my VX-III. It's the best scope I have right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.