HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   ultimate elk rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/351941-ultimate-elk-rifle.html)

Colorado Luckydog 10-26-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by fritz1 (Post 3866735)
Actually the 300 Rum isnt the best balistically factory 30 caliber on the market. The 30-378 Weatherby mag. will out perform it and the Lazzeroni 7.82 Warbird actually smokes it if you look at the balistic charts.

I'm sure both of these are calibers that magnum haters will just love!!:s2:

Those are two that I have never even heard of. I'll check them out but I'm sure I'll be happy with what I have.

streetglideok 10-27-2011 04:57 AM

Never heard of them? the 30-378 was a wildcat originally, but mainstream now, well kinda. Holds more powder then the RUM, but costs alot more, and with alot more powder comes recoil. It really doesnt show a significant gain over the RUM either. Ive heard of the warbird, its another big case, thats about as well known as a 300 jarett. The RUM is about the biggest of the mainstream cartridges, and anything on that is well past deminishing returns IMO

Nomercy448 10-28-2011 07:50 AM

I tend to live by the addage that "variety is the spice of life".

What I want in an elk rifle: Lightweight, easy handling, stands up to weather, flat trajectory, and plenty of power.

Another variable that I'll throw into the mix, is that I'd LIKE to be able to shoot factory rounds. Like it or not, it's something to consider if you have to fly to your elk hunts like I do. A few years ago, everything got to colorado except my ammo. I had to run out and buy new factory ammo and then had to re-sight my rifle. It ended up working out, of course, but the big problem is that I wasn't confident in the long range trajectory of the unfamiliar factory loads. I'd been shooting my hand-rolls for years and knew the trajectory like the back of my hand. Not knowing exactly how these factory loads performed at long ranges and how they behaved in the wind was on my mind the entire week.

All that said, a medium contour barrel stuck on a short action with a 7mm WSM or .300 WSM bedded in a synthetic stock is about as good as it gets for me. (Wife shoots a 7mm, I shoot a .300). We also have a .338 WM and a .375 H&H on hand, but usually prefer the flatter shooters, which also happen to be the lighter weight rifles also.

fritz1 10-28-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 3867033)
I'm sure both of these are calibers that magnum haters will just love!!:s2:

Those are two that I have never even heard of. I'll check them out but I'm sure I'll be happy with what I have.

I agree. I am perfectly happy with both of my RUM's. The extra little bit of performance gain from the 30-378 Weatherby mag and the Lazeroni"s isnt worth the expense. The Lazzeroni rifles start out at $6000 and ammo is about $110 a box. You can buy the Weatherby alot cheaper but ammo for a 30-378 it is about $130 for a box of 20 thru Midway, the brass alone is about $70 for 20, more than a loaded box of 300 Rum's.

streetglideok 10-29-2011 04:28 PM

RUMs are the ghetto weatherby,lol. Get the weatherby performance, and recoil, but for alot less, in rifle, brass, and loaded ammo. I must say though, its not near as cheap as it was 10 years ago, sadly.

300ultramagshooter 12-20-2011 03:51 AM

I really like my Remington model 700 XCR II in 300 RUM with Federal 180 grain Trophy Tips....