HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   ultimate elk rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/351941-ultimate-elk-rifle.html)

Sheridan 10-24-2011 06:05 PM

"Point is...a nice light, accurate, durable rifle will be more important than one that tosses out big $$$$$$.... accuracy is always king." EMT

I put the "$$$$$" in EMT's statement; now 100% true !

BTW ~ I use my 7MM RM or my .338WM, if they got bears there.

Colorado Luckydog 10-24-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3865925)
"Point is...a nice light, accurate, durable rifle

That's exactly what my Remington 700 XCR 300 Ultra Mag is! I'm so glad we agree. It's nice, light, accurate and very durable! It also has better ballistics than any other rifle that I know of. I'm not knocking anyone else's choice of rifle. I'm just tired of people knocking mine when they know it is superior in every way. Here's a pic of mine.

Sheridan 10-24-2011 06:34 PM

How do you not like that set-up !?!?

Except no muzzle breaks for me..................way to loud !!!

I'll handle the recoil.

Colorado Luckydog 10-24-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3865949)
I'll handle the recoil.

I could handle the recoil too. Untill we rolled the truck and a couple of back surgeries. A titanium plate and a few screws in your neck changes everything.

Sheridan 10-24-2011 06:54 PM

Lucky,

I reckin' so...................

I didn't mean too but, LOL......good call !

fritz1 10-25-2011 09:33 AM

As the owner of two 300 RUM's and a 338 Win Mag., I will say that for elk where I hunt, in the heavy timber, the 338 is a far superior round. The 338 will reach out as just far as the 300 rum, you just got to know the trajectory. It doesnt matter what you shoot, at 500+ yards all cartridges fall like a rock. The bullet drop is a known, it is consistent as long as you have consistent loads. If you know the range and dial your turret to match the range, it is no different than shooting 100 yards. The unkown factor is wind, wind might be calm where you are sitting and blowing 400 yards down range, that is where a heavier bullet will effected less. That is why I perfer the 338 over the 30 caliber.

homers brother 10-25-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 3865947)
I'm not knocking anyone else's choice of rifle. I'm just tired of people knocking mine when they know it is superior in every way.

Actually, the only person who knows it to be "superior in every way" is you. And, when you say things like "when they know (what you have) is superior in every way," then yes - you ARE - "knocking anyone else's choice of rifle." Otherwise, they'd have the same setup, right?

So, before you accuse someone of "magnum bashing" on another thread, you might be the wiser to consider that you might be bringing it on yourself, and that maybe your position isn't quite as firm as it should be to be making statements as bold as yours tend to be regarding this particular rifle (which many of us have seen pictures of before).

If it works for you, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

Colorado Luckydog 10-25-2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by homers brother (Post 3866424)
Actually, the only person who knows it to be "superior in every way" is you.

OR.....anyone that can read a ballistic chart!!! LMFAO!! You are right about one thing though, I should take a chill pill. I shouldn't let it get to me. I should just enjoy things for what they are. I need to try and laugh at and not correct. I will work on that.

homers brother 10-26-2011 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 3866493)
I should just enjoy things for what they are.

You're onto something there! Bottle it up and sell it and you'll make millions!

fritz1 10-26-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 3865947)
It also has better ballistics than any other rifle that I know of.

Actually the 300 Rum isnt the best balistically factory 30 caliber on the market. The 30-378 Weatherby mag. will out perform it and the Lazzeroni 7.82 Warbird actually smokes it if you look at the balistic charts.