Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Left-handed question >

Left-handed question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Left-handed question

Old 10-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Left-handed question

My 4-year-old is left handed. He tends to hold his toy guns that way as well.

My 9-year-old is right-handed and will start deer hunting next fall. I'd like to buy him a gun that I can then hand down to the younger brother.

What I'm getting it as I don't want to have to buy them each new guns at various times.

1) Can I "teach" the left-handed boy to shoot right-handed or should I just let him do what comes natural?

2) Are there rifles that are both? I'd assume, for instance, that a single-shot rifle wouldn't really matter?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Spike

Things to consider are safety location is safety in on the trigger area will make hit harder for a lefty to take safety off. I too have this problem my son is 10 and a lefty I have not really started him shooting I plan to get him going in the next few weeks. Break action may be a good option allow for both l and r shooters. I think Rossi and NLF make a good starter gun.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Spike

You might be able to teach a left-hander to shoot right-handed BUT, it is more a question of left or right eye dominance. If your son is left eye dominant then you can pretty much forget getting him to shoot with anything approaching accuracy right-handed/right-eyed. Check it out yourself - close one eye and point at an object, now the other eye and see what happens? Now try try with both eyes open.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

See the sniper on sniper scene in saving private Ryan. Us cross dominate and lefties have managed for years. Break action singles and doubles are 1 way to go. Levers and pumps work nicely too. For shotguns I love the BPS, its patriarch the Ithica 37 isn't bad either.

As mentioned before safeties are the biggest issue. There are a few models that have reversible safeties. I believe the Marlin lever guns still have a half **** "safety" as well as the button,on exposed hammer guns. Savage has a top tang safety, at least my old1does. I also just picked up a small ring Mauser w/a safety lever built specifically to be left handed that has a right handed twin part. Once fitted they take less than 5 minutes to swap out.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of thoughts

if they both end up wanting to hunt on down the road, unless you plan on them sharing one gun you will ultimately have to buy two guns anyway.

I am left handed, my parents and teachers tried for 10 years to "teach" me to be right handed. I thought it was DA then and I still do 40 years later. Kinda like teaching someone to be tall.

As mentioned, eye dominance is most important.

A pump/lever/SA rifle is probably not the best way to start a young hunter. Just my opinion.

Even a right handed bolt rifle loaded with one round at a time is not a big handicap and basically gives you a single shot rifle no different from a safety stand point than a break action.
Any decent break action will cost you.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input, everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

They're not cheap, most I'm seeing on GB right now are on the high side of $800, but the Ruger No. 1 doesn't care whether you're left- or right-handed, safety on the tang is ambi. Unlike less-expensive rifles though, these will keep on hunting when the boys become men.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simple answer. Contender Carbine. Short. Lightweight. Break action for safety. Ambidextrous. Shotgun, rimfire, and centerfire capable. What else could you want??

Also the stocks are cheap to buy. So you can cut one down for just a small cost. Tom.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

I am a lefty...and have 2 brothers that are also lefty (only one of them shoots lefty tough)...there are several good lever or break action guns that may work well for you...Marlin, Winchester, Rossi, H&R, NEF...and so on...but as many point out, eye dominance is important (I shoot left handed because I am left-eye dominant...even though I am right handed...as is my father oddly enough...and he shoots lefty as well). I also think safety is important...I know it's more costly, but considering buying them separate rifles is probably the best choice...or a lever, pump, auto, break-action that can be passed down...but I wouldn't try to teach the lefty to shoot right handed.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

To tell the truth of it all I don't know why there aren't more lefthanded guns out there. I've hunted w/about 30 people in the last 35yr >< and probably 20 of them were lefty shooters. I can only think of 1 cross dominate lefty . A couple were switch shooters . 1 shot rifles right handed and shotguns left.

And what's wrong w/half**** that it needs to be edited it is a viable industry excepted no sear ingaugement(sp) position of the hammer on lever actions,SAA colts,and every side hammer gun I can think of. Are we so PC now it has to be refered to as 1st position or 1st click or something? Its in my owners manual for my Marlin 1894CB and the TC Hawken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.