Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rifle prices >

rifle prices

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle prices

Old 08-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: rifle prices

I slightly disagree because a mathews bow is at the top of the scale as far as archery equipment is concerned,but a remington 700 is not.I think archery equipment is always improving so it doesn' t hold it' s value as long. Just like a $3000 computer is only worth $500 in 2 years.But rifles have not really changed that much in the last 30 or so years. Yes I do agree though that archery equipment is costly too.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Compared to everything else, I don' t think guns are priced to bad here. Compare a rifle at todays price with a gallon of gas and at least here the gas has left gun prices in the dust. I bought a couple of 700 remmingtons this year for 379.00 thats not much more than I paid for my first BDL 20 years ago. Of course these new ones were ADL synthetics.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just think though, This year I will have spent nearly $1100 on my Mathews LX and all of the garbage mounted on it. I will spend another $100 on arrows and Broad heads, in three years I will sell the bow for $400 if I can get it. and buy the new wizbang bow on the market.
Why would you have to sell it in three years? Do bows really wear out, other than the normal string and cable changes? If not, I' d think it' d be just as deadly in three years as is was the day you picked it up from the archery pro shop. I can understand putting on a newer, better designed sight or rest, but why the whole bow? I would also say that you are only partially correct in your assessment of a guns longevity. It will last forever in its original form provided proper maintence IF it isn' t shot too much. But if you shoot a lot of ammo through it it will eventually wear out, at least the barrel will.

I don' t think that most rifle prices are too bad for new ones, particularly with the level of out of the box accuracy most bolt-guns have today. The cost to real practical value is most important. A lot of what you can spend is for looks and name. I, for one, can' t see buying a $1500 Weatherby when a $500 Savage will shoot as well or better right out of the box. I could care less that it doesn' t have a fancy two-tone fluted barrel or bolt. A rifles purpose is to provide the shooter the ability to place a suitable bullet on the target as closely as possible to the point of aim. Looks and brand name are secondary IMO. Nice if you can afford it, but it won' t make it shoot better.

Mike
Old 08-14-2003, 09:42 PM

In 1964 the retail price of a M70 winchester was $125, most adults at that time were making about 50 to 75 bucks a week. Compare that to today' s pay and the cost of the same rifle. Guns are cheap.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:07 PM

Bass Pro is opening just north of Toronto in the fall of 2004.

Can' t wait, eventhough I do prefer to support the smaller shops because they usually provide better customer service.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:31 PM

Yes, rifle prices have gone up. I paid $520 in 1999 for a Win M70 featherweight that same rifle in 2003 is $610. So that is $22.50 a year increase. Shotguns and handguns have as well.

I check out the used gun racks every time a go to the local store. There are always nice rifles in there for around $350 or so.