Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
remington 700p LTR or 5r milspec >

remington 700p LTR or 5r milspec

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington 700p LTR or 5r milspec

Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default remington 700p LTR or 5r milspec

ive got a great deal on both of these rifles and i am in the market for a 700. they both have almost everything im looking for right now just short of a det. mag but i can drop in hs precision bottom metal since both rifles have hs pro varmint pattern stocks.

fyi the 5r uses a fully stainless (400 series) reciever and barrel with a 24 inch barrel where as the LTR uses a phosphate reciever and barrel but in 20 inches fluted, a length more suited to my needs. the LTR model uses a 1-12 twist (no big deal for me) where as the 5r uses a 1-11.2 twist. the 5r weighs in at about 8.5 (varies from source to source) and the LTR comes in at 7.5 i guess the real reason why i am split is because i am wondering how good remingtons 5r rifling really is. i know it is theorized as the best but from a factory barrel it may only be just another barrel. and since i dont plan to swap the barrel out to a pac nor any time soon, the stock barrel will be a big deal breaker.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never shot the 5R milspec but I can tell you that those LTR's will damn sure shoot. Half MOA is not uncommon at all.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just what are you planning on doing with such a rifle? Just a guess, but I think you'll find the discussions more appropriate to this type of rifle over on the sniper's hide forum?

The biggest difference between the two may end up not being the 5R rifling, but the combination of barrel length and rifling rate. The Mil-spec is obviously tuned toward M118LR ammunition (175 SMKs), while the LTR will probably prefer 168-gr or lighter bullets. Keep in mind that the two rifles are intended for two different markets and applications - military and law enforcement.

If you plan to push the .308 to it effective limit, you probably need the 24" barrel. If you're shooting prairie dogs at 500 yards, the 20" will probably do.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

im planning on using this as a coyote slayer (no i dont keep the hides, only culling the population on family farmland), crow rifle, somewhat long range deer rifle and overall fun gun. i hate to post on snipers hide or any chair gun sniper based forum just because im not approaching this rifle with a rambo-hunter mentality. the 2 rifles just have what im looking for. 308 chambering, alu bedding block, somewhat shorter barrel in a heavy profile and a remington 700 action.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have the LTR, but I do have the regular 700PSS and its a true 1/2moa gun!!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are quite a few credible resources over on the 'hide, but it can be difficult without lurking for awhile to tell them from the dedicated couch commandos.

Okay, you're hunting with this one. I'd probably lean more toward the LTR for your application. But, I'd probably consider something without a heavy barrel as well if you're not firing multiple rounds in quick succession. HBs aren't exactly the most convenient thing to pack around after deer or coyotes, even in the 20" variety.

You won't need tactical glass, either - so that'll save you a boatload. I'd probably look at something in the 4-12x range. Make sure you have whatever glass you purchase on top of solid, quality mounts.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dylan_b
ive got a great deal on both of these rifles and i am in the market for a 700. they both have almost everything im looking for right now just short of a det. mag but i can drop in hs precision bottom metal since both rifles have hs pro varmint pattern stocks.

fyi the 5r uses a fully stainless (400 series) reciever and barrel with a 24 inch barrel where as the LTR uses a phosphate reciever and barrel but in 20 inches fluted, a length more suited to my needs. the LTR model uses a 1-12 twist (no big deal for me) where as the 5r uses a 1-11.2 twist. the 5r weighs in at about 8.5 (varies from source to source) and the LTR comes in at 7.5 i guess the real reason why i am split is because i am wondering how good remingtons 5r rifling really is. i know it is theorized as the best but from a factory barrel it may only be just another barrel. and since i dont plan to swap the barrel out to a pac nor any time soon, the stock barrel will be a big deal breaker.

Thanks you for the post.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Vote for R5.

The R5 is a real urban myth that exists, it's as close to shooting a M24 sniper rifle you can get without joining the army, it uses the M24s' 1:11.5 twist barrel. And considering that no other rifle company has been able to take the contract from Remmy to build their sniper rifles then it's safe to say that it's a great rifle. The R5 is one rifle i'd like to add to my collection.

Plus it's one rifle that most people never heard of, even if they frequently surf Remingtons' websites. From what i've heard from guys that have them they absolutely love them and get easy .5 moa when properly fed. I think it's a gun that could be worth more down the road over the LTR, given it's rarity.
I say R5.

Last edited by stapher1; 10-16-2011 at 06:06 AM.