Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.32 Winchester Special...good cartridge? >

.32 Winchester Special...good cartridge?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.32 Winchester Special...good cartridge?

Old 01-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Spike

Default .32 Winchester Special...good cartridge?

I saw a Winchester model 94 earlier today chambered for the .32 Winchester Special in a gunshop. I'd like opinions about this cartridge. Is it generally accurate? Are the Model 94s that chamber it collectable? What type of game are suitable for it?

Thanks,
BOLTACTION

"Unless we protect the freedoms we enjoy, we will one day have no freedoms to enjoy."
Old 01-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .32 Winchester Special...good cartridge?

As far as I know it was a good deer cartridge years ago.It's not seen much anymore.I picked one up a few years ago.Unfortunatly it has a recoil pad installed. Mine is a pre 64 post WW II model.I'm sure it would have collector value since it a pre 64.As far as accuracy I don't know. I haven't shot mine yet.I would imagine it would be like the 30-30 win.Basically the same case except for 32 caliber.I got a good price on it, so I grabbed it.Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-28-2002, 07:15 PM
Spike

The one I saw today had been re-blued, and it had a recoil pad installed on it. It looked sharp, but probably isn't collectable since it has been re-worked. The action was real smooth, and the wood is beautiful. Is ammo hard to get?

BOLTACTION

"Unless we protect the freedoms we enjoy, we will one day have no freedoms to enjoy."
Old 01-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boltaction they are very close to a 30-30 just the difference in diameter and the 32 was about 100fps faster . I got my first buck with one . It is only loaded in the 170 gr bullet . Ruger-redhawk Did you try gun parts for that butt plate .
Old 01-28-2002, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Factory claimed ballistics:

30-30 170 @ 2200 fps (.308 dia.)

32spec 170 @ 2250 fps (.321 dia.)

The 32 is slightly better in the sectional density or in simple terms, knocks the deer down better from a fatter (wider) bullet. The 30-30 however has a bit more range with better ballistic co-efficiency or longer narrower bullets.

As a reblue and recoil padded gun it is a shooter, nothing more. But the problem is ammo is getting harder and harder to find for it. It is almost obsolete with just a few hunters still using it so it won't quite fade away.

Accuracy is the same as a 30-30 but the cost of ammo is a bit more so you'd be better off with a 30-30 if you want a 94 to shoot.

If you want one to collect, the 32 would be worth a little more only if pre 64 and completely original. If you find one, then get an old white box of Winchester Silvertips to go with it at an auction or garage sale etc.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

If I am not mistaken the M-94 in .32 Win. Spc. were all pre-64 models, except for a small limited edition run of the M-94 in .32 WS back in the early 1980's. If it was a pre-64 model, and has been re-blued, the original steel butt plate removed and/or the stock altered/cut, and a recoil pad installed, it basically has no collector's vaule, just shooter's vaule.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you're a Chuch Connors wannabe I guess its ok wouldnt use it for hunting, not as strong as 30-30. Collectors item now...
Old 01-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

halcon, No I haven't checked in Gun Parts catalog yet. I do need to get busy and look for one. Except for the recoil pad I would grade it as very good to excellent all original.A few years back (before Kmart became traders)I was in one. They had 4 boxes of (Federal)32 Win Special in a clearance sale.I can't remember what I got it for but it was reasonable.I need to get a set of dies and extra brass for it while it's still avaliable.If you happen to stumble on a steel butt plate for a Win 94 Please keep me in mind. Thanks Ruger Redhawk

Edited by - ruger-redhawk on 01/29/2002 15:41:43
Old 01-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a .32 Spec. that I've had for years. It's taken a Book black bear and several whitetail bucks, all with one shot each. It is my backup brush gun. I've reloaded for it. When I couldn't find cartridges, I made some out of .30-30 cartridges. I put a pinch of powder in the cartridge and packed it full of oatmeal. It fireformed into a perfect .32.
I cast my own 150 gr. bullets for small game hunting. I've shot more rabbits and squirrels with it than anything. My small game loads are a .38 special cartridge full of IMR 3031 packed against the primer with toilet paper. It's squirrel accurate out to about 40 yd. when my jacketed deer loads are on at 100 yd. My handloads cost about as much to shoot as a .22. It was designed at the turn of the century for jack pine savages who didn't entirely trust that new-fangled smokeless powder.
It was designed to be shot either with smokeless powder and jacketed bullets or black powder and lead bullets. It's got a slower rifling twist than a .30-30 so that you could shoot lead bullets without having them strip through the rifling. It's a pretty neat gun/cartridge.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

halcon,I emailed Gun Parts. I found a complete buttstock and butplate for it in their catalog..It says inletted for pre war. I don't know if it will fit or not.I gave then the complete S/N.I'll wait and see what they have to say.I also asked if this one won't fit do they have one that will.Worse come to worse I'll get a old Winchester butt plate and let it go at that.I'll let you know what I find out. Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: .32 Winchester Special...good cartridge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.