Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Pawn Shop Gun? >

Pawn Shop Gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pawn Shop Gun?

Old 10-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pawn Shop Gun?

I was checking out guns at my local Pawn Shop and saw they had a used Savage 111FXP3 30-06 for $200 firm. It comes with a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope. It wasn't in excellent condition as it had some rust but the action seemed fine. I thought it was a good price but i was looking for someone else's opinion and what are your thoughts on buying a gun from a pawn shop?

thanks
Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing wrong with buying a gun from a pawn shop...but from my experience, if their price seems reasonable to start with, there may be issues with the gun.

I haven't had any luck finding reasonable prices on anything at pawn shops.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree there is nothing wrong with buying from a Pawn Shop imo.

That being said, I've also never seen any good deals on guns at Pawn Shops.

As for the gun does it have the accu trigger? If yes, it may be worth that price if there aren't any problems with it even if it's scratched up and has surface rust. If it's the older one without the accu trigger, it's not worth that imo. In good shape they are worth $200-250 imo. The ones with the accu trigger seem to go for $250-325 in this area and those are prices for ones with a cheap but decent scope like a Tasco, Bushnell, Simmons, etc.

That being said, Walmart sells the Model 10's and 110's with the accu trigger and with a scope, sometimes Bushnell, and sometimes Simmons for right under $400. IMO keep this in mind when buying a used one, because if it's close to that price, it's not a good buy imo.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

There's no problem with buying a pawn shop gun, however their starting prices are never firm IMO. I'd make an offer, if he comes down to it, great. If he doesn't be prepared to walk out. Come back in a couple days and make the same offer, maybe by then they'll budge. Or it may be gone, but I never pay the price they are asking at a pawnshop.
-Jake
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

I've bought several in hock shops only 1 of maybe 5 requires special feeding. It was a special order Savage 06' when it was new an its prefered bullet wieghts are no longer available. That said the others have proved to be well worth every penny.

Here's what I do :
1st decide what your maximum dollar is for what you want.
2nd handle it, figit over the little nicks, cycle it,do your inspection, hemhaw.
3rd depending on traffic put it down look at something you know you don't want.
4th after having another look, and after wife/buddy call faked or otherwise offer 10-25% less out the door tax,Brady,etc included.

4 can be tricky if it is a hi demand/volume gun they won't budge. Worst case you can buy them for asking out the door.

As a 1a know how much it goes for new often you'll buy for 60-65%
Old 10-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some nice guns and at great prices from pawn shops, you just need to learn to haggle a lot.