Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington/Mossberg/Benelli Nova >

Remington/Mossberg/Benelli Nova

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington/Mossberg/Benelli Nova

Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Spike

Default Remington/Mossberg/Benelli Nova

i looking into getting a first time shotgun...which of these brands would be the best for the case. its mainly going to be used for waterfowl, deer and turkey so i would be purchasing barrels for it as well.... another decision is semi auto vs pump is the extra money really worth it? any input helps thank you
Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

If I was in that position I would get a Mossberg 500 and a rifled barrel to go on it. This would cover all your needs, be a good price, and be a quality shotgun. The Remington 870 would be another good option, but it would cost a lot more. I have both a 500 and an 870. While I think the 870 is a nicer looking gun, they both function equally well. I have also used my 500 a lot more than my 870- probably because I don't mind dragging it through the brush- and I've never had any bad issues with it.
I prefer the pumps, just my preference though. I do not own any autoloaders, but I have shot quite a few. They are nice, seem to work well. I just like the pump better.
-Jake
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

just like he said. The Rem and Mossy are on equal terms of performance, maybe not looks but performance. I have shot both. Both solid guns. you cant go wrong with either really. I bought my Mossy 500 20 gauge for $300 maybe. That came with a rifled slug barrel, normal barrel, scope, and multiple chokes. the biggest difference is the tang safety on the mossy which i personally love. (i cant speak for the benelli)
Old 09-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 500, 870, and Nova are 3 of the most highly praised pump guns around. Comparing these guns won't get you far; this is a great example of a good time to pick a gun by how it feels. I hunt with more guys that use Novas than anything else, but because I don't care for how they feel, it is the last of the 3 I would choose. Maybe it will be first on your list. Your next decision is whether or not to get a 3.5" gun over a 3". I find myself using 3.5" shells for geese frequently, and if I shotgunned turkeys, I'd gladly be taking advantage of the extra pellet count there as well. It's a nice option to have, but not necessary. I use my 3" gun for everything else, and it's not much of a handicap when I use it on geese.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Pick them all up, then pick the one that feels better to you..