Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Finally made the choice, bit the bullet and got a new Remington >

Finally made the choice, bit the bullet and got a new Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finally made the choice, bit the bullet and got a new Remington

Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Finally made the choice, bit the bullet and got a new Remington

I have been looking for a 6 MM Remington for some time now. There are basically no new ones being made and the people that have the older Mohawks, Mod 7 and 600's want an arm and a leg for them. I had just about decided to go with the .243 Winchester, but I really wanted the 6MM. It is the caliber that my first deer rifle was and I just like that caliber! I happened to look in the 2011 Remington catalog and low-n-behold, this years Special Edition is the 6MM Remington!
I just got it in this week. I probably will not use it this season, I need to get a scope for it first. The gun is a M-700 CDL-SF, stainless, fluted barrel. If it shoots as good as it feels and looks, its a sure keeper!
Now, for the scope! I've narrowed it to the silver Leupy 3X9X40. Question is: is the VX-3 200.00 better than the VX-2?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the new rifle. I like the 6mm too, my friend used to have a Ruger M77 6mm. Good rifle. I was in the market for a Leupold Scope when they came out with the VX-II line. The tech's at Leupold told me when they went from their Vari-X-II and Vari-X-III lines to their new VX-II and VX-III Scopes that the VX-II Scopes got all the features that the Vari-X-III Scopes had, like the Multi Coat 4 lenses ect. The best part is the VX-II kept the older Vari-X-II prices. I've been buying VX-II Scopes lately and have had really good luck with them. YMMV

NYH!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, I have an old Vari-X II and it is a good scope. The VX-II should be a good choice. I am willing to part with a little more money for a better scope for this gun, I'm just unsure if the VX-III is really worth the extra.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

One word...Zeiss
Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, the VX3 is better than the II (I do have a new VX3 2.5-8 x 36 on my Low Wall). It's certainly fine but you are missing the boat by not checking out others beside Leupy. I'd buy a Sightron Big Sky, Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meopro and several others in a heart beat.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many of the scopes mentioned do not offer what I want in a silver finish. I would love to try the Zeiss Conquest, but the price difference between a blued scope and the stainless finish is rediculous! I am going to look at the difference between the VX-2 & VX-3 then order the one I want probably from Optics Planet.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would go with the Leupold VX-III but I would also spend the extra cash and get the illuminated reticle. These are awesome. There are 8 intensity settings on these and the illuminated dot is very tiny but highly visible.