Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun

Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury
The ballistic silvertip ammo is a step below the higher grade ammo. If you are worried about cost, then this isn't the ammo you want. It's not the cheapest by any measure.
Hence my issue in general with premium ammo. Guys run the cheapest stuff they can find through their rifle for practice, or worse - they zero it only and DON'T practice - then they use the stuff from the fancy box to hunt with.

Sight in and practice with what you're going to hunt with. If you can't afford to run at least a box or two of the stuff through your rifle over the course of the year, then it's not the ammo for you.

As I stated before, CoreLokts, Power Points, and whatever Federal's calling their old Hi-Shoks now have never failed me. Put the bullet through the boiler room and your quarry won't know the difference between standard and premium ammo.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Spike

Well I am back from my weekend. Lets just say it has been exciting. First off here is how Saturday went.
*Wake up
*Meet brother in-law to go to Cabelas
*Get to Cabelas and start grabbing everything I need to buy and making the gun the last item.
*Fill out paper work for gun only to find out that the address on paper work MUST be the same as on my license. (I moved this February)
*License is expired anyway and is in need of renewal. I am told if I go to the DMV and get it taken care of then I can get the gun once I got my yellow paper.
*We buy scope and other small items and have sister in law find an open DMV
*We find a DMV that is actually open on a Saturday and get the license renewal/update taken care of.
*Come all the way back to Cabelas and purchase gun
*Have lunch
*Go and pick up step son with brother in-law from the MN Zoo where he is volunteering at, which we were running late for.

Finally after all of Saturdays adventures, Sunday came and we went to his 40 acres of land 3 hours north of the cities. So here are the pics and descriptions to go with....

Here she is in all of her glorious splendor. The Remington 700 SPS Stainless Steel with the Nikon Monarch 3-12X42 BDC. A couple nice things I didn't expect with this specific gun was that the bolt is jeweled and the gun actually uses a magazine instead of that dumb springy thingy.

Here the ammo used. They were Winchester Power Point 150 Grain, Remington Core-Lokt 180 Grain (they were out of 150 and 165), and Federal Fusion 150 Grain.

Here is the target. This was only at about 22 Yards.

We eventually got me in one of the deer stands about 20 feet in a tree and hung this target from a tree on the other side of a field about 100 Yards out. At first I was missing the target completely and once I brought the scope in 6 Inches I ended up with 2 shots that were maybe 2 inches from the bullseye and maybe 1-1 1/2" apart. I also played with the zoom on the scope and had it set to 8 which helped greatly. So for now we are VERY impressed with the Cabela guy's bore sighting along with the accuracy, function and softness of recoil with this gun. But lets not forget this AWESOME scope too.

We couldn't have my step sons sniper uncle do the scope stuff because of his availability but it seems we may be sitting pretty good right now. Hope you all enjoy the pics. I had a lot of fun this weekend getting my new gun and shooting. Im looking forward to hopefully getting a deer with it this year. With what we have seen with the ammo im thinking im pretty safe with either of them. However if I had to lean towards one or two of them I would say probably the Remington and the Federal would be my choices. If I have a chance to get out and do more shooting I will have to see if I can zone in on one. My brother in-law wants to build a shooting bench and set up a kind of "range" to shoot strait shots down so we will see where we go from here.

Last edited by Crazy8; 08-22-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Did you really say "I didn't expect with this specific gun was that the bolt is jeweled and the gun actually uses a magazine instead of that dumb springy thingy"

I have a ton of comments...but will bite my tongue now...happy hunting? :/
Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Crazy8
Thank you all very much for your help. Well This Saturday is the big day. I will be getting these things....

Remington 700 SPS (stainless) 30-06
Sling
Nikon Monarch 3-12X42 (Im thinking BDC Reticle but not sure yet)
Sunshade
Scope covers
Remington Core-Lokt 150 Grain Ammo
Winchester Powerpoint 150 Grain Ammo
Federal Fusion 150 Grain Ammo

As mentioned I will be trying the different ammo in 3 shot groups to see what my gun likes best. I also have access to a GREAT resource. My step sons uncle is a police officer and a competition long range shooter. I have seen his competition guns and they are awesome. He currently shoots in the 1700yd range I believe. Anyway I will be paying him a visit and seeing if he can help me with getting it all set up. I know it doesn't take someone of his caliber to do that, but who would be better? Plus there is a range by his house where he does his shooting so we will make an all day event of it and have some fun too.

Thank all of you again for your help in this.
Keep in mind, you'll need to go through a barrel break-in process before getting any sort of accuracy results from a new gun...see the link below on a barrel break-in:

http://www.larrywillis.com/Barrel.html
Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Spike

Well I know that the "dumb springy thingy" is an internal magazine, I'm just not a big fan of that. I'd much rather have an actual magazine that doesn't require me to load from top of the gun. I know you can by kits to convert it to a magazine set up but this ended up saving me from doing that. I still have a couple issue with the magazine but they are minor. Anyway thank you for the link on all of that. Great info.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Red face

There are pluses and minuses to internal box mag's...you only have to lose your detachable box mag once to experience the biggest advantage of the internal mag...that being said, I'm like you and prefer a box mag...even though I have been stuck on a hunt with what ended up as a single shot rifle due to loss of a mag. Fortunately the mag was ultimately located when cleaning the truck out after returning from the hunt in the back seat under a ton of crap....saving me $75.00! I eventually bought a spare to avert such future disasters...

With this in mind, I recommend you purchase a spare mag to have...as you won't be able to buy one when you need it most....in the woods!

Happy hunting!

Last edited by emtrescue6; 08-22-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have brought the stainless model, if it had a detachable box magazine.

Proud owner of a SPS DM (blued) in .243.

Love the gun !

Barrel hand lapped & basic trigger job done on it, and it shoots 75 gr V-max remanufactured bulk ammo under 1" MOA.

Lastly, all my bolt guns have a detachable box magazine & I always buy a second magazine - loaded and ready to go !

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-23-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Spike

My brother in law talks about the time he has gone prairie dog hunting and how much fun he has had doing that. Im wanting to get another gun, not now though, for doing that. Because of my happiness with the 700 I am thinking of the 700 VTR in a .223. But we will see what is out and available when im able to make that purchase. Plus he suggested doing it first then buying the gun if I decide I like it. Makes perfect sense to me.

Him and I are also looking at possibly joining a local gun club so we have a place to shoot, practice, and just have some fun.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Crazy8 congrats on the new purchase. For future reference, I have purchased 2 different firearms without using my drivers license. It had an old address on it, but my car registration was up to date so I used it instead.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

I only shoot the ballistic silvertips through my X-Bolt. I know what can happen if you don't sight your gun in with the ammunition you hunt with.

Thankfully I learned that lesson in the summer. My father had me switch ammo types because we couldn't buy the round we had been using for his .44 mag rifle. Going from a cheaper 220 grain hollow point to a higher quality 240 grain hollow point round really shifted the zero and tightened up my shot groups. It left a big, and lasting, impression on me.

Oh, and I second the buy at least one spare magazine advice. I never lost a magazine while in the woods, but my father has.

It has happened to me only once where I had a defective aftermarket magazine out of the box, but my father's A-bolt mag had a spring that broke during one gun deer season. He had a single shot rifle for the opening weekend that year because he had no spare magazine.

Be prepared, and you increase your odds of success.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.