Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I put a Marlin 336Y on lawaway today! >

I put a Marlin 336Y on lawaway today!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I put a Marlin 336Y on lawaway today!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default I put a Marlin 336Y on lawaway today!

My son, 10 next month, shot my 336C 35 Rem. a few weeks ago and loved it. However it's to big for him so my wife and I planned on buying him a 336Y 30-30 Win. (12.5" LOP stock and 16.25" barrel) for Christmas. Early last week he and I went to Dick's Sporting Good's and they had a new Remington made 336Y for $399.99. Then we went to Gander Mountain, they also had a new Remington made Marlin 336Y. It was on their clearance table for $344.99 plus tax. He likes it better then my rifle, it fits him great with room to grow. Heck, it even fits me!

I was finally able to leave the house without him today when I went to therapy. He comes with me everywhere I go, but today he was playing, probably more like showing off, with the little blonde girl down the street and didn't have time to come with dad, that's my boy LOL! So after therapy I went back to Gander Mountain and put it on layaway. The wood isn't quite as nice as the wood on my 336C. I might change or refinish the wood anyways, he's like me, he likes the darker wood that my 336C has.

We're probably going to put the same XS Ghost Ring Sight's on it that my rifle has. He says he likes them. I can't shoot with the factory iron sights. I'll let him try them to see if he likes them before I change them. I'm excited for him. This will be his first new rifle. A few years ago I traded a pistol I didn't use anymore to a guy at work for a Mossberg 505 410 shotgun his son out grew. But there's nothing like your first new rifle when you're young. Although the recoil of my 35 Rem. doesn't bother him, I'll get him some of Remington's low recoil ammo so he can shoot it without killing his shoulder. I'm going to have to cut the stock down and put a recoil pad on it to make it the same length as it is from the factory.

Hopefully it's ends up being a good rifle that he can use the rest of his life and maybe even pass down to one of his kids in the future. I have a few nice guns my dad gave me and some that he bought for me to pass down to him. I can't wait for Christmas day!

NYH1!

Last edited by New York Hunter; 08-11-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Spike

Default first rifle

That's great man! You're kid's gonna have the best Christmas. Everytime, he uses that rifle in the field, he'll remember where it came from. Building good memories and it's a great rifle to boot! Would love one myself!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

I meant "layaway" not lawaway. Don't know where that came from LOL.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good for you on getting a great gun for your son.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats, he will be thrilled
Old 08-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let him try it before you cut the stock. The 30-30 kicks less than the 35, and with the managed recoil loads it kicks even less. This way when he grows you'll be able to add a recoil pad to lengthen the pull. The 336Y is a great gun, I know of guys who bought it for the shorter barrel then replace the stock with a full sized one. Check out the marlinowners website for lots of great info about your guns.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Before cutting the stock, buy a replacement stock, maybe in a youth size.
And get Hornady Leverevolution ammo for it.

While your at it buy him a lifetime sportsman lic, he will thank you the rest of his life.

JMHO