Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
Would you hunt with this? >

Would you hunt with this?

Community
Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

Would you hunt with this?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Spike

Thumbs down Would you hunt with this?

Hey Board,

I've got a question for you? I have an old Remington Model 11 shotgun 12ga. Nothing fancy, belonged to my grandfather and he passed it onto me when I was a teenager. Here's my question: I would like to take it out this season and chase some bushy tails w/ it and other small game. I believe it to be in decent shape for it's age. Anybody ever hunt w/ one of these? If so, shell recommendations would be great. Everything I've seen says 2 3/4. I've fired it a few times (literally like 3-5). It did jam up one time w/ an aluminum shell. I don't put alums in my shotguns anymore. Wife's brother in law said I needed 3" heavy shells for it, that's why it jammed. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted with one, but it's been awhile. I cant remember if it is even chambered for 3" shells.In any case, it's probably just dirty and needs a good cleaning, and then I would use only high brass ( what we always called them), shells in it.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 AM
Spike

Default model 11

I am the decendant of a model 11 as well. I like to take it to my club for at least 1 pheasant hunt a year in honor of my Grandfather.

Mine is only rated for 2 3/4 and I'm prety sure all were made B4 3" shells ever came around.(so I'm quessing yours is too.)

Mine dose not like light loads. I reload now and can custom taylor to it's likings. Prior to that I found that a High Brass shell or Heavy Field load worked fine. More than likely any load you buy with 4's 5's or 6's will work fine. 3-4 yrs ago I was buying Federal Heavy Field #5s and #6s at Wal Mart for $6.99 a box if I recall. Stay away from the 7's, 7 1/2 and 8's (usually dove or target load classified).

Most of the old timers will say you want a #5 load for the majority of small game anyway.

I also use a light teflon spray as my cleaning agent then again after as my lube. Tri Flow is what I like as it is cheaper than Rem OIL and I believe almost identical according to the ingrediants, smell and feel. I also use it like it's going out of style. I don't duck or goose hunt with the 11 but it cycles my SX2 fine up here on Lake Erie late goose season hunts(down to around 20 degrees or so never been out with a semi auto when its single digits or teens).

I'd be happy to answer any other ?s you may have apout it as well.

Last edited by fxrcleve; 08-13-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

I also have a model 11...and do not believe that they were ever chambered in 3". Check the side of the barrel close to the action, it should state 2 3/4" chamber. I also agree with fxrcleve and have experienced the same results he has and no longer soot anything lighter than #5's in my model 11. I also received mine from my grandfather and to this day it is one of my most prized possessions and shoot it every chance I get.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Spike

The Model 11 is adjustable for light loads by changing the compression ring and brass ring on the magazine tube. I can't give you the exact arrangements of the above items, but it is easily found in gun takedown manuals etc. It is the same as the Browning A-5 arrangement for light loads. I am sure you can Google the info and find out exactly how to do it. I know it has worked on all of the 11's I have owned! I had to change the position of the rings to hunt Doves with it with light --low brass loads. I agree with the rest of the guys about the 11 not being made in 3".
If you can't find what I am talking about, let me know and I will locate the info for you.
Ken

[email protected]
Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

John Browning built the A5 (Rem11) and ALL auto scatterguns afterward are just toys!!! I LOVE the A5, the look, the feel, the quality, the simplicity and reliability. Some things CAN'T be improved upon with time.

Rather than tell you, to avoid confusion I found these sites showing you the correct arrangement for various loads.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...mington_11.htm

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...ail.asp?id=105

Take care of that ol war horse,
HL
Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Emtrescue6
Why would you tell the world what and how many guns you have? You really don't want your guns do you?

("one shot....one kill (OK...most the time!)

Yeah I like the new Win WSM's and WSSM's!

To name a few
Savage 99's (.308, 250-3000, 22-250, .243, .300 Sav)
Rem 700 BDL Custom Shop 7mm Rem Mag
Rem 700 BDL .270 Win
Browning A-Bolt 25 WSSM
Tikka T-3 270 WSM
Winchester 21 Tournament Skeet Grade ")

Last edited by olcrip; 08-21-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Spike

thanks for the good info guys...definitely have to take it for squirrel season then. Gonna have to find some #5's too. Yeah, it is a 2.75 chambered gun...I guess I've been worried about shooting it. I'd like too though. Thanks again!