Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
savage vs vanguard advice needed >

savage vs vanguard advice needed

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

savage vs vanguard advice needed

Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 AM
Spike

Default savage vs vanguard advice needed

Well long story I need a new deer rifle(I say need because I had to sell my only center-fire rifle, a custom Winchester model 70 a year 1.5 years ago to help finish paying for my youngest sons adoption fees) so now that i have everything paid off and a chunk saved up for a rifle/scope combo, I have come to realize there ain't no way in heck I will be equaling my model 70 in terms of shilen barrel, stock, and timney trigger, and Leopold scope, and yet meet my $1,100 budget, so after shooting my dad's savage 243 and liking it, and reading a little on the web i have come down to either a savage 116 in accu-stock, in 270 wsm, or a vanguard in same caliber. however since no shops near me even let you shoot a rifle before you buy, i need some expertise on ya'lls dealing with these two rifles, (I'm looking for honest groups with factory ammo, I don't as yet have time to reload, new child remember) any honest insight would be appreciated.

p.s. I gotta buy soon so I can get some practice time before this fall.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Spike

Default Savage or Vanguard?

I know nothing about your caliber choice,however, I own both Savage
and Vanguard rifles. I have been satisfied with both. That being said I have six Savage rifles and one Vanguard. The Vanguard is a 25/06 and shoots as advertised. The Savages are a variety of 224 and 257 calibers. Without exception they are all MOA rifles.
I recommend that you shop best price and best fit.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

What jigger said. They're both affordable and both shoot. Whichever is your fancy. I have slight preference towards savage.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Spike

Both guns are good. The vanguard series is going on clearance in alot of places because they are coming out with a series 2 that has a sub moa gaurantee. But the regular shoots pretty much as good. I just picked up a vanguard 270wsm but havent used it yet. They are nice with a good finish. I know the Cabelas in Owatonna has some stainless and blued models on clearance. But they are in 7mm,257weatherby,300win,and 7mm-08
Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 for Savage especially with both Accutrigger & Accustock !!!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

for me it would be the vanguard hands down no contest. I know EVERYONE says that there savages shoot moa, but I have not had that experience (I will say that they all do a lot better than modeer). I just prefer the howa/vanguard rifles over the savage and yes I have both
Old 07-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Spike

I have 3 Howa's, .223, .300wm and .375ruger.

All shoot MOA out of the box with only a trigger adjustment (owner adjustable) and using factory crackers
Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Spike

I have both , faver the vanguard, I just purchased T/c hunter out of box 1/2 group 7m08 paid same as above guns less than 450. no complaints. just 2cents
Old 07-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby Vanguard!!