Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Considering Ruger 77/44??? >

Considering Ruger 77/44???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Considering Ruger 77/44???

Old 07-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have just picked up the Ruger 77/44 in the camo stock. It’s a nice little rifle easy to handle. It works very well cycling rounds. I’ve read that some don’t like how it releases the mag but I haven’t had any problems with mine. I just started shooting this rifle so I can’t comment on accuracy at this time. I have other rifles for accuracy but I purchased this rifle for just the fun of having it. I just don’t like lever actions so this bolt action will do the trick. I maybe looking at the the same rifle in the 357 at a later date.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Well I think I (and several of you from several sites) have changed my mind from the 77/44 to the 1894 Marlin 44mag.

I considered the 357, especially because Marlin offers the 18.5" Carbine 1894 but don't with the 44. I know it will kill but I just don't trust the 357 over the 44 for deer hunting, especially 100+ yd shots.

I killed MANY deer and one monster bull in NM "back in the day" with my lil ol Knight Wolverine and with sabots it's ballistics were awfully close to what the 44 rifle should yield so I have no doubts the big slug is capable out to 150yds or so. "On paper" I know it's not impressive, but I know enough from extensive muzzleloading that big, slow moving slugs like the XPBs are HELL on game and penetration is key IMHO.

I have a 2.5x8x36 VariX-3 that I plan on removing from my 336 Marlin and installing on the 1894. I think I'll order the lil lever gun next week.

HL

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 07-31-2011 at 08:00 PM.