Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage Model 14 American Classic >

Savage Model 14 American Classic

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Model 14 American Classic

Old 07-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Savage Model 14 American Classic

Been doing a lot of research on the Model 14 American Classic rifle and this sounds like a very nice rifle and the price tag is not to bad.Wondering if any on here have this rifle and what is your experience with it.I will definitely get the short action in 243 or 308 if I buy it.Some questions are how is the accuracy-the accutrigger do you like it-by having a free floating barrel does the barrel still lightly contact the bottom of the stock-how is the finish holding up on stock-do you like the mauser type bolt-how is the detachable magazine does it feed good and install and remove easily.I have not yet handled one but the apperance and price definitely has my attention.I have always pretty much owned Remington Model 700 BDL guns and liked them alot.I have never owned a Savage but this might be the gun I am looking for as all I have read sounds very positive on this Savage.So any feedback that anyone can give will be much appreciated. Mike
Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Savage Model 11 GCNS Bolt-action in the 7mm-08,wood stock,blued barrel with the Accu-trigger.Great looking gun and I love the way it shoots...the lower metal bullet clip is some what tight fitting and I had no trouble while sighting it in at the Shooting Range and engaging a new shell into the chamber....but after putting about 39 shells thru the Gun and when finally going Deer Hunting I ran into a minor problem I need to look into a little deeper.When I shot my first Deer with it opening morning I ejected a shell and hurriedly put another round into the chamber in case I needed to take another shot..it wasn't needed and after getting down and feild dressing my Deer and hauling her back to Camp I went to un-load my Rifle and there wasn't a shell in the chamber?I never gave it much thought so after taking care of my first Deer for the Season I went on the hunt the rest of the week since we are allowed 2 tags...a "Any-Deer" Permit and an "Anterless Deer" Permit.I ended up having a nice 8-Point Buck come in late friday evening and I took the shot and he dropped about 20 yards from my stand after I shot him from my 17 foot ladder stand...I ejected the shell and again chambered another shell in case a follow-up shot was needed...again later on I found out no shell was in the breech.I don't know if this was a fluke..did I get in too big of a hurry and move the bolt-action too fast or were the shells shoved a little too far forward or backwards inside the clip itself?

I did notice that the shell clip is not made like my Browning, or Remington Rifle clips..it is rectangle shaped at the bottom but tappers in at the top to single out 1 shell on top of the bottom 2...and I'm pretty sure I only put 1 shell in the chamber and 3 in the clip?This is the only problem I have had with my Savage Rifle...guess I better try testing it out this year before Deer Season so I know it is looading a shell properly...thing is when I shot a Deer with any of my Bolt-action Rifles my eye's don't leave the Deer...I aim,shoot and re-load as fast as possible keeping my eye's on the Deer I'm trying to harvest...I hate to think I need to look down and watch my bolt-action working a shell into the chamber and take my eyes off the Deer I shoot at?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 07-23-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Spike

Thank you for your sharing, it is so useful to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

GTO Hunter - you may not have pulled the bolt back far enough for another cartridge to be fed and loaded from the magazine.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by country1
GTO Hunter - you may not have pulled the bolt back far enough for another cartridge to be fed and loaded from the magazine.
Yep...that would be my guess.