Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Building my new AR >

Building my new AR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Building my new AR

Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Building my new AR

Looking for all opinions.

Walking stick for shooting predators out to +/- 300 yards.

Here is my new upper;

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...%20miss-15.htm

With Daniel Defense bolt carrier group & BMC Vitor charging handle.

CMMG stripped lower.

With Daniel Defense trigger kit (will replace with giessle one day).

Magpul MOE stock, MIAD grip & MS2 sling

Topped with Burris Signature Select 4X-16X 44MM with Ballistic Plex reticle & Burris XTR Tactical rings.

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-14-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never heard of them, I'm not a fan of the full length handguard.

I have the RRA parts kit in my CMMG lower and it works very good together...
Old 07-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

looks good,sounds like they did their homework on the problems the military m4s had.now i wanna see the sheridan memorial animal cemetery.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Opinion? Probably a good compromise at 1:8. Familiarity with that optic will be a plus for you. Puzzled by that handguard. Are you mounting a bipod? Beyond that, why would you want that much rail on a walkaround dog gun? VFG, weapon lights, etc. really don't have much utility for 300 yard varmints. Overall? I think you'll have fun with it, you might find it a bit heavy as its downside. Enjoy!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

First and foremost; thanks for your comments !
Here is my reasoning concerning the few points you brought up.

I expect to be using varmint factory ammo somewhere around 55 grains, so a 1:8 twist should handle those bullet weights well.
I will keep my scope on 4X and the objective (Parallax) at 50 yards while still hunting, until the circumstances require otherwise.
I will not be attaching a bi-pod (don’t want the added weight), but I will be hand carrying shooting sticks.
The long rail is of little importance to me at this juncture; however if my interests change to include the use of battles sights, different optics, lights, lasers, etc. I will always have the flexibility to do that in the future.
Most importantly, the full length rounded hand guard will help me to “ready” my rifle quickly, knowing that my mount may not be repeatable every time when shooting under field coditions.
I have a convertible one point sling to a two point sling, which should help with distributing the weight, and I expect the whole rig to come in at only 8.5 pounds anyway.
Lastly, I love to still hunt and I have missed many opportunities which were up close and personal but just couldn’t get on him quickly enough.
So, I’m hoping to be in a better position with this set-up to take advantage of those quick shots without sacrificing the ability to reach out there on longer shots.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't really speak to the BCM barrel qualities, but here's my 2 cents about the upper:

I don't install anything but match grade barrels on my own AR's any more. Even for action shooting weapons, the difference is worth the price. Besides the accuracy, clean up is one of my favorite things about match grade barrels...

I'm NOT a fan of quad rails. I'm not a fan of the look, and they aren't as comfortable in my hand. Spend a few min holding on a target and you WILL notice that you have a rail in your palm, instead of a smoother forend. A new forend can be added later if you ever want to add other accessories, quad rail forends usually run in the $75-125 range. But that's just my preference, your mileage may vary...

I DO like the MOE stock, as far as telescopers go.

I'm not familiar with the XTR tacticals, do they have the same insert system as the Signature Zee rings? I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the Zee rings for optically centering scopes over the bore.

All in all, sounds like a good set up. I'll be looking forward to seeing some results, on paper AND on fur!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I appreciate your response.

If "clean up" is important why not use a chrome lined barrel, if accuracy is important why not use a "select" match grade barrel.

So, "everything" is a bit of a compromise; unless money is no object of course.

I'm looking for relative accuracy, not going to be using it for bench rest competition.

BTW - What quad rails ?

The Burris XTR Tactical rings do not use inserts like the Zee rings, but are much wider than the Signature rings.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrrings.html

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-17-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I appreciate your response.

If "clean up" is important why not use a chrome lined barrel, if accuracy is important why not use a "select" match grade barrel.

So, "everything" is a bit of a compromise; unless money is no object of course.

I'm looking for relative accuracy, not going to be using it for bench rest competition.

BTW - What quad rails ?

The Burris XTR Tactical rings do not use inserts like the Zee rings, but are much wider than the Signature rings.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrrings.html
Sorry, I didn't zoom in on the pic of the upper, I saw the full length upper rail and it LOOKED like the rest of the sides were carved up as well. I'm not certain what I'd ever do with a full length top rail either, but that forend would at least be comfortable in your hand and ride your sticks nicely.

As far as accuracy, I guess for the extra $100-200 +/- per barrel, I'd rather just get match grade. For 300yrd shooting, I'd have pretty high expectations for my rifle. To each their own, but that's my personal preference. You're right though, chrome lined certainly DOES help for clean up on "non-match" barrels, and there certainly are plenty of "non-match" barrels out there that shoot very well even out to 300yrds. I guess I get a little pre-occupied because my "coyote rigs" spend a lot of time popping P-dogs too, which ups the ante a bit on accuracy demands. Making a body shot on a P-dog at 300yrds is a bit tighter than making a HEADSHOT on a coyote, and about HALF the size of a lung shot... So I'm just used to that level of demand (1MOA max) for my "coyote rigs", hence my "match grade" fever.

The DD trigger should treat you pretty well until you get the Geissele (or Jewell), and then you'll never go back!

Definitely going to be a fine piece once it's all put together. Are you considering a custom paint job for this piece, or sticking with the black?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd love to have it dipped but don't know if that will happen any time soon ($$$).

The Geissele is definitely in my future, but I"m glad I'll have the time to get use to shooting this rig first with the DD trigger group (as a walking stick anyway).

As far as P-dogs (for me it's ground squirrels - SoCal); I use my .17 HMR for 100-150 yards & my .204 for 200-300 yard shots............both bolt guns with Harris bi-pods.

Thanks again for your input !