Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Mini 14 >

Ruger Mini 14

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Mini 14

Old 08-06-2003, 01:17 PM
jed
Fork Horn

Default Ruger Mini 14

I am looking for a predator control rifle. 4 legged predators I might add, anyways I was looking at the Ruger Ranch Rifles and the Mini 14' s. I especially like the laminate stocked heavy barrel versions. I see them in magazines with compensators and stuff but really don' t know much about them. I am looking for something reasonably accurate ( 1 inch @100 yds), .223 caliber that willl stand up to a lot of abuse. I anticipate coyotes at less than 300 yards as my intended use, I have a Ruger no 1 in .22-250 for anything at longer ranges but I need something that will fit on a horse, or ATV. If anybody has any experience with the 14 I would like to hear their comments, good or bad. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger Mini 14

Hi Jed:

You might get close to 1" with a mini-14 with about $700 of work from Clark Guns. I am sure there are others, but I only know of Clark. That brings your cost up to about $1200, which is money that could just be spent on a bushmaster or similar. The 14/30 just isn' t accurate at all. I get 6" at 100 yards. That being said, it is the preferred rifle out here for predator control. I don' t know anyone that doesn' t have one, just make sure you get some 30 round magazines.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:18 PM
jed
Fork Horn

Colorado Elk you are right about the cost. I checked the clark website and They will sell me a new one for 1345. That' s more than I can afford right now. Accuracy arms however guarantees that they can get the mini down to sub MOA. I also plan to handload. I wonder why you are not getting better accuracy. Do you have an older military version? Anyother problems with reliability, feeding anything?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:24 PM

Sounds like min' s aint what they used to be.
My first Mini-14 a 181 series would do 1" -2" with the iron sights that came with it.
Other Mini' s I' ve owned later shot larger groups, one terribly larger about 5" .
The one I own now, another 181 series, shoots just as well as my first.
I' ve heard talk that Ruger contracts out the production of the barrels for the Mini but have no reliable info on this. Could be the reason for varying accuracy though.

Old 08-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most mini' s shoot minute of pieplate.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first Mini I ever fired was in the 1970' s....it was about 21 pound triggerpull and hitting a pieplate from a benchrest was a challenge......and they haven' t changed much since then.

Their #1 single shot shoots just a little better but not much!!!

I' m not a ruger fan!!!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not a ruger fan!!!!!
In all honesty I don' t think I have ever read a post of yours that was positive about anything.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

STAY AWAY FROM THE MINI' S they are nothing but junk. i sold mine the other for 350 just to get it out of my way. if you want a cheap yote gun get a savage youth model bolt action. although there is another company makeing an ak variant in 223. what do they call that? saiga? anyone else know what it is called or how well it shoots?
Old 08-07-2003, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had also looked into the mini 14 a few years back and came across the same answers from everyone i checked with. A buddy of mine had one and we used to take it out plinking and it was great for that, but not for sub MIA.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

the only thing i have ever heard about mini' s and accuracy is " never hits the same hole twice" but i also run dogs with lots of guys who use one. very rarely is there a " one shot drop" they all have atlest 20 round mags. go with a bushmaster, or colt AR-15 (bushmasters take colt parts) they are a little more$$ but worth it if you want an accurate gun. if you are calling them in, you don' t want to have to start spraying lead at a ' yote that isn' t on a dead run

Quick Reply: Ruger Mini 14

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.