Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.22 groups need help >

.22 groups need help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 groups need help

Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default .22 groups need help

I've got the bull barrel, cheap stock version of the Savage MKII, the FV model I think. I'm a bit confused by the way it shoots and wondered if you fellas could shine some light on it for me.

It likes some rounds more than others, which is normal. Cheap Rem bulk shells, Thunderbolts, Wildcats, Fiocchi target rounds, etc. (BTW, it's the only .22 I've ever owned that hates Stingers) The rounds that do shoot well sometimes take awhile to start grouping. I sighted it in last year with Wildcats, which it shoots pretty well out to 50y (not competition groups, but squirrel killin' groups). But the first shot out of it is almost always an inch or two off in a random direction.

Yesterday I took 5 different shells out to try. I shot 5-shot groups of each at 50y with minimal success. After that, I shot a 10-shot group inside an inch dot with 37gr Winchester cheapo's. If I start out with them, the group is twice that size.

So what do I do? I know the Wildcats will shoot, but the first shot is always a flier. The gray box Winchesters will shoot a ragged hole at 50y, but only after the barrel warms up. I want to know what I need to do so that the first shot goes where I want it to. I DO NOT like missing squirrels!

rw
Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

I JB'd the barrel shortly after I got it. It's had over a hundred rounds through it since then. I don't clean my .22's very often. Usually only if they get wet while squirrel hunting. I'm going to try some CCI's today that I picked up. I'll shoot the whole box through it and see what the groups do.

rw
Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

RR is correct. Changing ammo will result in ur rifle shooting erratically until it 'settles in' with the new ammo. I really don't know the reason. Perhaps it is the different coatings on the bullets. I own 4 different .22s and each one seems to have its own favorite brand/load. There are 2 schools of thought on .22 LRs. One is to keep it clean just like you would any other rifle. Second is that you don't clean them and just continue to shoot it until accuracy begins to deteriorate. I owned an old winchester 52 target rifle that I used for indoor smallbore 4 position shooting that I never cleaned and shot only Eley red box ammo. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I put thru that rifle and it would still put every bullet into the X ring if I did my part. My .22s I use for squirrels however get cleaned after every shooting session. But I usually swab the bore with a dry patch and fire a fouling shot prior to a hunt.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

I shot 12 3-shot groups of CCI MiniMags today to see what they'd do. The first was out of the dot, but from then on out they shot well. At 50y, my rifle can't expect any more out of me unless I get a better bench to shoot from (old bathroom cabinet with a 2x4 on it with a gallon ziploc sandbag). It will do fine for a squirrel round.

rw
Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your shooting just validated my reason for shooting a fouling shot prior to a shooting or hunting session. Also remember that no matter how much you pay for 22 LR ammo, you will occasionally get that strange flyer. Most likely caused by a 'hiccup' in the production line, a bullet with a slight casting flaw or void, or a number of other reasons.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the comments

rw
Old 06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Spike

My Marlin 60 semi-auto does not shoot right on the first shot. It's got something to do with the difference between closing the bolt manually and automatically. I just pop a shot off in the dirt before hunting.

With your bolt action - load a clip, insert, bolt shut putting one in the chamber, and then bolt the gun feeding a new round. Now see if the first shot falls in the same group. Could be the angle of the top round and how it hits the feed ramp.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Check the mounting screws for proper torque. Buy some decent ammo, the target stuff like Wolf Match Target. Sure it costs more but you may be amazed at how much differnce good ammo can make.