Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lengthening LOP? >

Lengthening LOP?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lengthening LOP?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lengthening LOP?

I often see "micro" guns in the classified forums (either manufactured with a short LOP or cut stocks). In most cases, it's probably a rifle or shotgun bought for a kid who has outgrown the LOP.

Wouldn't it be relatively easy to replace the recoil pad to increase the LOP to adult size?

What other options are there? I just see these as a bargain that isn't being tapped.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Youth models typically have a shorter stock (LOP) as well as a shorter barrel. I personally don't like adding recoil pads THAT thick to make up LOP, because I feel like it adds "slop" to the stock. I like a firearm to shoulder firmly, but when you put in a 1" or 1.5" recoil pad to make up for a short stock, it adds a lot of wiggle to the stock.

Personally, if I were re-fitting a youth model, I'd add an aftermarket or OEM stock, instead of adding a 1-1.5" recoil pad.

But even then, you're still stuck with a shorter barrel. A lot of youth shotguns will have 21" or 22" barrels, where the full size versions will have 26"+ tubes. So now you not only have to replace the shorter stock ($100-150), but you have to replace the barrel as well ($150-250).

So yes, there are a lot of options for "refitting" a shotgun to convert over to full size, but by the time I bought a new stock and a new barrel, I'd have spent less money just buying a new shotgun, let alone the resale price of the youth model. A new stock and barrel will run about $300-400. A new shotgun might cost me $500, and the youth model is probably worth $250ish, so you're looking at only investing $250 in the NEW shotgun, instead of having a $400 youth gun, with $400 in refit parts, $800 total cost.

If you have grandkids and plan to use the youth model for several kids as they grow up, then yes, it might make sense to re-fit the youth model, but personally, I'd rather just have 2 guns, one youth model for the young kids, and a full size for the teens until they get old enough to take their own gun.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds logical. I usually just pick up a second stock and fit it to the shooter. Then I can change back if / when necessary. I also picked up a slip-on pad that works pretty well.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Makes sense, but I've seen a Browning B-99 Micro Trap Gun for example. That has a full length barrel, but as far as I can tell, just a shorter LOP. Is there no other way to "build up" the stock, or is that not a DIY job?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

First add a Pachmayr Decelerator pad.

http://www.pachmayr.com/D752B.php

If you need even more LOP - use these;

http://www.pachmayr.com/stock-spacers.php

Done................
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

If I cut a stock for youth I drill it for dowls 1st . There are gobs of materials around to do build ups w/. That are easy to work and look good ,in most cases . I wouldn't do 1 on say a decent double w/nice wood out of 3 tone acrilic . W/a matt black composite I might do black and white lines like the old white line pads . Lexan is nice to work and is generally available from 1/8 to 1/2 thicknesses.

For something like that Browning I'd buy the stock if it were wood.