Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Taurus Tracker 17HMR >

Taurus Tracker 17HMR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Taurus Tracker 17HMR

Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taurus Tracker 17HMR

I got a buddy that is going to sell his Taurus Tracker, its chambered for the 17HMR. It has a 6 or a 6.5" barrel, im not sure. I wouldnt mind buying it but wish it was a 22 mag instead, but I am still concidering it anyway. I am not to familiar with Taurus pistols, I usually stick with Smith & Wesson and Ruger when it comes to hand guns. However it is a nice looking gun, I am looking for any input from you guys on whether this is a good gun or not and about the caliber, should I wait and buy a 22 mag or get this one? I have a Savage 17hmr and I like it but I dont know how this round will perform in a revolver. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also what would be a good price to offer for this gun? it is used but in very good shape, like new. Thanks.

Last edited by fritz1; 06-12-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can get them new for right over 300 bucks at Buds Gun Shop. I have been thinking about the same gun in a 44 mag. I don't think they are the best guns on the market but they come with a good warranty. I was talking to the guy at my gun shop the other day and he said most of the problems he sees with the Taurus are with the semi's and not the revolvers.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

The trigger is horrible. Forget it if you are planning on putting in an aftermarket spring kit. I have not heard of anyone being successful doing this on a recently made Tracker. They also are not well balanced. For a 6.5" barrel, the balance should be much better. The cost is much less than a Ruger, but it is not near the quality. Ever thought about a Ruger with the .22LR and .22 Mag cylinders?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have one in .44 Mag. It is not a S&W but it is a nice gun. It shoots very well and has never failed to cycle/fire. NOT ONCE. Thats the most important thing for me, atleast for this gun, as I carry it for back-up when hunting and camping, etc.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of these pistols. I got it 5-6yrs ago after seeing a buddy's, and I LOVE it. It's been a great coyote pistol, and a lot of fun for plinking. I think I paid $275 back then, looks like the NEW price on them is running $380-400 these days, so depending on age, $250-300 should be a fair price for "like new" condition. It isn't a Ruger or a Smith, but it's worked flawlessly for me, and has actually much better accuracy than I had anticipated from the Taurus. I've been tickled pink with mine.

They're ear burners though, so be sure to use ear protection when you're shooting these.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input, I am still debateing on whether to get it or not. I found a stainless Ruger Single Six 22/22mag convertable at a gun shop in Lewiston for $469 that I really like, I might just try and get both, if I can get a good deal on the Taurus.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Spike

You can get them new for right over 300 bucks at Buds Gun Shop.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Spike

You can get them new for right over 300 bucks at Buds Gun Shop.