Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best Conceal carry gun? >

Best Conceal carry gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Conceal carry gun?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

1...you need a new wife if you have to negotiate new tree stands...LOL (JUST KIDDING!)

I have several handguns...I'll be the first to bash Glock...have a 21 and hate it...will sell it as soon as I find a sucker! Trigger pull sucks, accuracy blows and feels like it was made by matel! My personal favorite now days is my Kahr CW40...conceals nicely, inexpensive (bought new a couple months ago at Cabelas on sale for under $400), sweet DAO trigger pull, accurate and comfortable to shoot. I also have in the safe a Browning Hi-Power on .40 (my all around favorite...but full frame is harder to conceal), Smith 5906 (not top of my list), Kimber 1911...sweet heavy gun...luv to shoot it, not comfortable to conceal-carry, Baretta 92FS (9 mm...enough said), Sig 226 in .40...a great conceal gun, grip is a little thick but hella accurate and never has failed me, Taurus 454 Cas...my Alaska Bear carry gun. Any of these have been carried at one time or another and all are good guns. What is most important is that the gun fit your hand and is comfortable to shoot. If it isn't comfortable to shoot you will never spend enough time with it on the range to become proficient resulting in an un-prepared under-skilled packer...
Old 06-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
I have several handguns...I'll be the first to bash Glock...have a 21 and hate it...will sell it as soon as I find a sucker! Trigger pull sucks, accuracy blows and feels like it was made by matel!
Glock is a good firearm, but it is not for everyone. For every manufacturer, there are some who love their products and some who hate their products.

Try to shoot an unmodified model (no trigger job or after market parts) with factory ammo (some will power down their reloads) to see if you like that model. Below are some areas to consider when looking at a handgun.

How a handgun fits your hand and how compatible your natural point of aim works with the angle of a particular handgun is very important. A gun may feel great in your hand, but if it does not work well with your natural point of aim you are likely to struggle with accuracy.

Some firearms have a rounded frontstrap and/or backstrap while others are shaped mostly flat. Some people love the flat and hate the rounded and vice versa.

Is your trigger finger long enough for you to center the middle of the pad of the trigger finger on the trigger of an UN****ED handgun and still have a gap between your trigger finger and the frame of the handgun? Don't turn the handgun in your hand to make the handgun fit. Hold the handgun so the thumb and trigger finger of the shooting hand are parallel. The fatty part of the palm ahead of the wrist on the side of the little finger should be against the bottom of the backstrap. You should not be able to see any portion of the backstrap while the trigger finger and thumb are parallel. If you do not have proper alignment, you will have more muzzle flip and more felt recoil. Most people have an incorrect grip which means their alignment is not correct. The result is recoil goes into the knuckle of the thumb on the shooting hand (not comfortable to shoot), and they also have a greater muzzle flip (affects accuracy and speed).

Is the distance from frontstrap to backstrap of the grip too short or too long for your hand size?

Is the width of the grip too wide or too narrow for your hand size? If you have average size hands or smaller, you are likely to be better off with a single stack mag and thinner grip than a double stack mag.

Is the grip tall enough for your hands?

Can you reach all the controls on the handgun without changing your grip?

Is there plenty of room inside of the trigger guard for your trigger finger? The trigger finger should never come close to touching the trigger guard at any time.

The above are just some of the areas to consider. Do not trust a gun shop to tell you which one fits best for you. Most do not know. Others will suggest the model that gives them the biggest profit or a model they have the most to sell (want to move inventory).
Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

My keltec pf9 is extremly reliable and accurate. They dont cost a fortune i think like 325 new and are good carry guns. It holds 7+1 rounds of 9mm so not a sloucher. Im notta 9guy but i cant carry my 45s or 40 nowhere near as much as this baby
Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

I carry a Keltec 32.. Some people scoff at it, but it is the lightest smallest pistol I can find and I have 7+1 rounds.. A CC gun is only good if you carry it, many of the others are just to big/heavy for me to feel comfortable with.. You can easily go with a 380 like the Keltec or Ruger LCP also.