Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good 22. rifles >

Good 22. rifles

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good 22. rifles

Old 08-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good 22. rifles

I have had more than a couple of 10/22' s and every one has been a good rifle. If you want to stray from that and get maybe a quality bolt look into CZ' s. I just purchased a stainless(electro plated) synthetic model and it is very high quality.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

like the others said the best semi is a 10/22 and you can accessorize it so yours will look nothing like theirs...a good cheap 22 has to be the marlin model 25 i think...its burried under my bed or id look.....its a bolt action.....i have acheap crappy tasco on mine and outshot a pretty nicely setup 10/22 many times....me and my 22 were best buddies...up the mountains i can shoot it like a kid shoots a bb gun and have no worries...pop cans and things like that i would shoot...shotgun empties...i shot all kind of wierd things i probally shouldnt have...all free hand shooting unless it was popcans at extreme ranges...it really helped me start to learn a good form and hold my gun steady..but i love that gun..i cant wait to get out with it and pop a few tree rats! and its only about 100-125 bucks.....you cant beat it...all depends what you want in a 22 though....you may want a target gun.....or a semi.....or a good hunting gun ect......
Old 08-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

The Ruger is a great .22, and you should reconsider it. Barring the 10/22, gun stores are full of marlin model 25' s which is a great rifle. I bought one in the mid ' 80' s and did a quick estimate that I have shot 80,000 rounds though it, with no problems. I am sure you can pay alot more and get less than with a model 25. The only drawback I see is a capacity of 7 cartridges. Let us know what you decide on!
Old 08-05-2003, 12:55 PM

Aside from cleaning and replacing the front sight I' ve shot a zillion trouble free shots through my 10/22 in the last 25 years.
Personally I hate the tube magazines, I like being able to pop out the magazine and load it as I' m walking along. (Something that is pretty tough with the tube types) I have several clips and just keep a loaded one in my pocket while we are out hunting rabbits, or I' m busy loading one while my daughters shoot the other one when I take them out shooting.
I would never buy anything but a 10/22.
There are a lot of cool parts too, Cabelas has pages of 10/22 items.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know what these guys are talking about...the Rem 597 is the best 22 made.............................................. .................................................. .......
For starting a fire! LOL

Go with the Ruger or T/C...

The 597 is a piece of junk. One of the worst weapons made in the recent past.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only thing that i didnt like about my brothers 10/22 is that the bolt doesnt hold open on the last shot. i have a remmington viper that is no longer made. although it went back to the factory once it has been great the last thousand rounds or so. also bought one of those henry lever guns that jammed a bit also till it got repaired. the model 60 i had needed replacement parts soon after i bought it. if i had a choice to just buy one gun i think it would be a bolt 22. a little slow but probably more stabil.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

another vote for the 10-22
Old 08-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

I just got a Ruger 77/22, and it shoots like a champ. With the longer barrel and laminated stock, it feels like my deer rifles, so it' s great for practicing. It costs more than the 10/22, but I really like it.(it looks good too!!)
Old 08-07-2003, 01:16 AM

I have the all weather 10/22 and it unbelievably accurate. Of course the 3x9x40 on it helps quite a bit. I also have the 22/45 made by ruger and feel the same way about it. Ruger makes a great .22

Old 08-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

depends on what you mean by good. I have a Marlin bolt 22 with a 7 shot magazine/clip that shoots so well it is unbelievable. Unfortunately it is not a very comfortable fit for me. The scope set-up I have and the stock itself are not such a good set-up. But b/c the recoil is not a factor I can get away with it. shoots like a drean though and groups well with a lot of different ammo' s. I usually have to spend some time at the range each time I get a new brick of ammo,...but once I dialed it in I' m good for the entire brick usually.

Quick Reply: Good 22. rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.