Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Favorite "all around" hunting rifle weight.... >

Favorite "all around" hunting rifle weight....

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Favorite "all around" hunting rifle weight....

Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

My preferred rifle weighs between 10 LBS and 11 LBS with scope. This is a rifle my dad put together with a Springfield .30-06 action and barrel and a walnut stock that he made (perhaps from a blank). It looks very nice, shoots very well. The length of pull is 15.5" -- about 2" longer than standard -- which suits me very well as I'm 6' 2" tall. While this rifle weighs a bit more than is typical these days, I have no problem carrying it around. I go backpacking in the mountains in summer time carrying a 50 LBS pack. I don't see how carrying a 9 LBS rifle is going to be noticeable to me versus a 11 LBS rifle. I will say I'm going to be more sensitive to hauling out the elk quarters than carrying this rifle.

I would not choose a rifle based on its weight. If I were having a custom rifle made for me I would have it done in .338 Winchester Magnum, I would have the longer length of pull (15.5" as above), and I would like it to weight 11 LBS to 12 LBS with scope -- as a way to keep the recoil tamed versus shooting the same cartridge out of a 8 LBS to 9 LBS rifle. But that is just me. I see most people are very against heavier rifles. If weight was an issue, I would just train to carry extra weight. Instead of working out with 25 LBS dumbbells, workout with 30 LBS dumbbells and the deal is done. Alternatively, if a 5' 10" hunter can readily carry a 9 LBS rifle, why can't a 6' 2" hunter readily carry an 11 LBS rifle?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Spike

I like mine around 7.5lbs ready to hunt. My two favorites are a 1988 Remington 700 Mountain Rifle 30-06 with a set of talley lightweights and a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm and a Remington 700 MTN LSS 270 with talley lightweights and a leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm. Both shoot and handle very well and are easy to carry at around 7.5lbs.