Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Are we going back to shorter barrels in magnums? >

Are we going back to shorter barrels in magnums?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are we going back to shorter barrels in magnums?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Are we going back to shorter barrels in magnums?

I recently had Hill Country Rifles start working on a custom built 7mm. Rem. Mag. for me, and I was a little suprised to find that the majority of their custom rifles are built with a 24" barrel....standard AND magnum.

I guess from a SHOOTERS perspective, something like a 26" barrel would be better simply for getting max velocity when running through a chrono.

I can also see from a HUNTERS perspective, that a 24" barrel gives "adequate" velocity and offers better rifle balance and easier handling in cramped spaces.

I currently have them splitting the difference with a 25" barrel.....but I'm REALLY thinking about going to a 24".

Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

I have 2 26" barreled guns. Drives me crazy in my safe. They have to sit in the back by the shotguns or leaning in the front.

Second, I know its just a pain when i hunt newfoundland or places where there is a lot of brush.

Lastly, yea, it the "in thing" to have a short barreled gun. Tactical guys are all going to it. Surprisingly.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally can't tell the difference hunting with a 24" 25" or 26" rifle...
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure we're going back to 24" just more hunters like the idea of 24" over 26", I think both will remain available to hunters in the future. The guy who wants every last fps will want the 26" the guy who wants a handier lighter rifle and willing to give up 100fps or less will take a 24"

I'm sure we all wish we could shoot a 300 RUM in a 6 lbs rifle and have 1/2moa accuracy, and have it kick like a .243, for $400, but nothing is free with rifles, have to give up something to get something.

I think by the time you figure out everything about rifles you die an old man, and your wisdom will probably be lost on youth.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I made the call......24" fluted barrel it is.

I noticed that Remington has gone to a 24" barrel on their new 700 XCR II, and I guess Ruger has used 24" on their magnums pretty much forever.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

You won't tell any difference with just 1"...shoulda stuck with the longer tube...
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
Well, I made the call......24" fluted barrel it is.

I noticed that Remington has gone to a 24" barrel on their new 700 XCR II, and I guess Ruger has used 24" on their magnums pretty much forever.
My Remington 700 BDL 338 win mag has a 24" barrel but my 300 ultra mags have a 26" barrel.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

My Remington 700 BDL 338 win mag has a 24" barrel but my 300 ultra mags have a 26" barrel.
Is that because the 300 RUM has such a large case and so much powder to burn?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

If I was having a RUM bult, that barrel would be AT LEAST 26".....maybe 27' or 28".....but if I built a .300 Ultra, it wouldn't be for lugging around thick woods.

I know I'm going to like my rifle when it gets finished, but if I had it to do all over again, I probably would have built a .280 Rem. with a 24" barrel and an EDGE McMillan stock to shave off another 8oz. off the weight.

It looks like the total weight of the 7mm. Rem. Mag. Hill Country Rifles is building me will hover around 7 1/4 pounds un-scoped...maybe a tad under. I'm also not going to be shooting excessively long ranges. A recent trip to a 300 yard rifle range shooting at 6" steel plates from "hunting positions" was a VERY humbling experience....practice, practice, practice...lol.

I figure my 7 mag will be much handier carrying through the woods and manuvering in a box stand....and a 160gr. Nosler Accubond should still cause real issues for whatever it's aimed at even if it only came out of a 24" barrel.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Is that because the 300 RUM has such a large case and so much powder to burn?
There is no "unburnt" powder after 15" or less. Just if you buy a RUM, you didn't buy it to shoot heavy projectiles, but shoot flat. You didn't buy it to to crawl thru briar patches and make 50 yard shots.

A 30-06 benefits as much as a 300RUM from extra barrel length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.