Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hornday Superformance???? >

Hornday Superformance????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornday Superformance????

Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default Hornday Superformance????

Has any one shot this new ammo from hornday ? I read some comments made that at the range some guys had trouble getting the round out of the camber after they shot some of this ammo?? They also claimed that the case had expanded causeing this problem?? I have 2 boxes to shoot out of my new 7-08 xbolt, and dont feel like blowing up the gun from to hot of ammo,ps this gun will become my daughters wis deer gun after we get it sighted in .... so safety is a big concern for me ?????????? any comments???
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

the 300wsm 165@3275fps caught my eye...no personal experience yet...

but btw the 7mm-08 for deer I don't see a whole lot of reason to need superformance, but I guess we all like the idea of a lil more umph and flatter trajectories.

standard loads in the 7-08 though are certainly capable of taking deer.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

What is the difference between the Superperformance and the line of Light Mags that Hornady used to offer? I have a Rem 700 in 7-08 that experienced heavy bolt lift with the Light Mags.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wayspr
What is the difference between the Superperformance and the line of Light Mags that Hornady used to offer? I have a Rem 700 in 7-08 that experienced heavy bolt lift with the Light Mags.
Superformance replaced the Light Mag/Heavy Mag line. So it's possible you'd experience the same problem.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked up a box of 180's to try in my 30-06. I'll post any apparent "issues" ASAP.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by infmphunter
Superformance replaced the Light Mag/Heavy Mag line. So it's possible you'd experience the same problem.
From what they advertise they are safe to use in semi-auto's unlike the light/heavy mags were, also no increase in kick/pressure they claim.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
From what they advertise they are safe to use in semi-auto's unlike the light/heavy mags were, also no increase in kick/pressure they claim.
That's good, you would hope a new product would address any problems the old ones had.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I understand you correctly, you are "breaking in" a new X-Bolt ?

I love Hornady, but I wouldn't break in a new rifle with "hot loads".

That's just me.

I'd use them........just not to break-in a new gun !
Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Spike

I'll be breaking in a brand new X-Bolt 7mm-08 in the next couple of weeks also. The FedEx guy delivered 3 boxes of ammo today. Prvi Partizan was the cheapest thing Midway carried, and will be used for breaking in the barrel. Reviews on that brand are always pretty good, by the way. You might want to check it out. The price is definitely right. After break in, I'll be testing for accuracy with the Superformance SST and GMX. If either shoot under MOA, I'll buy a couple more boxes and call the gun ready to go. And if for some reason the Prvi Partizan shoots exceptionally well from my particular gun, I'll probably just stock up on that.

What scope did you mount on yours?

Last edited by jason miller; 04-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Spike

It will have a Leupold vx3 3.5 by 10 in gun metal finish to go with the stainless barrel ....