Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Between S&W and Beretta >

Between S&W and Beretta

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Between S&W and Beretta

Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Between S&W and Beretta

I have a choice to make here. On one hand I have a Beretta 96. On the other hand ,a S&W M&P. Both are used guns. The 96 has a lot of holster wear[ a former police issue]. The M&P seems spotless. I really like the sights on the M&P. The front sight on the 96 has been worn and is shiny on the tips. Both are .40 cal. The M&P had to be sold so early for a reason. Not sure why. The saleman really likes the Beretta for some reason. He owns one and loves it. I have to say the S&W felt really natural in my hand. Not sure what is better ;poly or steel frame. Just getting into pistols. Any thoughts or guidance would be great. This will be my last pistol until something breaks.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The action is better on the Beretta, but if the S&W feels better in your hands then go with it
Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by standsleeper
I have a choice to make here. On one hand I have a Beretta 96. On the other hand ,a S&W M&P. Both are used guns. The 96 has a lot of holster wear[ a former police issue]. The M&P seems spotless. I really like the sights on the M&P. The front sight on the 96 has been worn and is shiny on the tips. Both are .40 cal. The M&P had to be sold so early for a reason. Not sure why. The saleman really likes the Beretta for some reason. He owns one and loves it. I have to say the S&W felt really natural in my hand. Not sure what is better ;poly or steel frame. Just getting into pistols. Any thoughts or guidance would be great. This will be my last pistol until something breaks.
I carried a Beretta 96 as my dept issue duty weapon for 10 years and had zero problems with it. They are great pistols. You should probably get what feels best to you and go with that. Maybe not limit yourself to just the Beretta 96 and the S&W M&P?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Check out the S&W SD.40, I just bought one and they are very similar to the M&P but less expensive. I love mine!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

You answered your own question. The one that "feels natural" in your hand is the best bet. It will most likely point in a natural way too.

From what you said, the Smith is in far better condition with less signs of wear and less use. If it were my choice, I would go with the Smith. Feel is is everything. The pistol should be a natural extension of your hand.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Check out the S&W SD.40, I just bought one and they are very similar to the M&P but less expensive. I love mine!
Good call. I actually just put that one on law away today. I can't give you credit though. I didn't read your post until I got home. I just couldn't justify spending more money for a used gun when a new SD is so similar.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by standsleeper
Good call. I actually just put that one on law away today. I can't give you credit though. I didn't read your post until I got home. I just couldn't justify spending more money for a used gun when a new SD is so similar.
Not looking for credit, I really like mine, hope you like it!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

How's the trigger pull on the S&W? I had a Smith and Wesson SV40 Sigma and the trigger pull really sucked. I now have a H&K USP 40 and difference is like night and day. The military uses Berettas so that should say something. I've never owned one though.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sjsfire
How's the trigger pull on the S&W? I had a Smith and Wesson SV40 Sigma and the trigger pull really sucked. I now have a H&K USP 40 and difference is like night and day. The military uses Berettas so that should say something. I've never owned one though.
The trigger pull on the M&P is night and day better than the SV40.

Different branches within the military use a ton of different pistols including Glock, Sig Sauer, and H&K.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

The trigger on the SD is around 8 pounds ,I think. It felt pretty smooth. I think the SD and the M&P share the same trigger. They felt about the same. @ Mr MC54, I know you weren't looking for credit. I was just funnin ya.LOL. I'm sure I will like the SD. The Beretta is also a fine gun. I have shorter fingers though. I don't really have small hands, just sausage fingers. I felt like a little kid holding his dad's gun. I couldn't get past that feeling. Both the M&P and the SD felt great in my hands. Both pointed well. I like the grip better on the M&P but not enough to buy a used gun for 150 dollars more than I could buy a new one. They are way to similar to justify that. Can't wait to throw some lead through it. Now all I need to do is learn how to shoot.LOL. Thanks to all for the free advice.