Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What makes it a better rifle? >

What makes it a better rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What makes it a better rifle?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What makes it a better rifle?

Educate me,what makes on rifle better than another ?
For example Winchester Model 70 vs Ruger m77 vs Remington 700 vs Tikka T3 ect...ect...ect...........
Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time, it's the shooter.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Most of the time, it's the shooter.
That might not be to far from the truth.But lets use the Win model70 extreme weather & the tikka t3 stainless as examples.Why is the win. about twice as much? Is it built twice as good as the tikka? Are the materials used that much better?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Winchester Model 70 is one of Winchesters best rifles. The Tikka t-3 is Sako's bottom of the line.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's no set formula in my book, it's all about finding the closest factory rifle with all the features you want.

Plastic stocks with rubber inserts are a pretty big turnoff to me, though some are slightly growing on me, but of course I'd rather have a pretty synthetic instead.

Seems like many rifles come close but always have something that's a major turnoff.

winchester's stainless/synthetic, is very nice, but those flutes are gross IMO, only halfway down the length of the barrel? I'd rather have flutes the entire length or not at all. Great looking syn stock though.

One of the guys at my local shop once told me "no one complains about a cheap rifle that shoots well" hence he mostly stocks cheap rifles, when you buy an $1800 rifle and it can be out shot by a $700 rifle it's a lil upsetting, course the $1800 might look better.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

A rifle (assuming bolt action but any) must first of all feed rounds from the magazine to the chamber without flaw and at a rate of 99.999%.....

Then it must have a decent trigger and safety which is adjustable or set for the shooter. The safety must function reliably and IMO allow the shooter to load and unload while the gun is in the safe position

Then the gun must have a positive extractor that extracts 99.999% of the time.

Then the gun has an ejection system that ejects the spent casing with similar reliability!

On top of all of this the gun is accurate enough for the task it was purchased for and strong enough to hold in a overcharge of some nature.

It must be made from materials that allow for the gun to service the owner for many many many years.

On top of all this it must offer some type of pleasing appearance in finish and styling. (clearly a matter of personal taste)

These are the requirements.....and I haven't found a lot of guns that actually make the grade but the M-700 and M-70 rifles I've owned do this with ease.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

But lets use the Win model70 extreme weather & the tikka t3 stainless as examples.Why is the win. about twice as much? Is it built twice as good as the tikka? Yes. Are the materials used that much better? Yes.
Materials used, manufacturing process, fit and finish, Over all quality, etc...

Comparing these two rifles.
Stocks -
Winchester is a solid fiber glass, aramid, and graphite filled stock with aluminum bedding block, aluminium reinforced wrist, with a Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and epoxy gel coat. The tikka stock is injection molded polymer with a hard rubber recoil pad.

Receiver -
*Winchesters actions are sized to the length of the cartridge. Tikka is one size fits all.
*Winchester has a controled round feed bolt and claw extractor. Tikka is a push feed bolt. *Winchester has a coned breech face. Tikka has a 90 degree bolt face.
*Winchesters safety is vastly superior to any safety currently on any other bolt action rifle.
*Winchesters bottom metal is real metal. Tikka's is polymer.
*Winchester has an integrated recoil lug machined into the receiver. Tikka's recoil lug is a piece of metal pressed into the stock that fits a slot milled into the receiver.

Just to name a few.

Comparing these two rifles is like comparing a bottle of fine wine with a some Boons Farm you get from the grocery store.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Materials used, manufacturing process, fit and finish, Over all quality, etc...

Comparing these two rifles.
Stocks -
Winchester is a solid fiber glass, aramid, and graphite filled stock with aluminum bedding block, aluminium reinforced wrist, with a Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and epoxy gel coat. The tikka stock is injection molded polymer with a hard rubber recoil pad.

Receiver -
*Winchesters actions are sized to the length of the cartridge. Tikka is one size fits all.
*Winchester has a controled round feed bolt and claw extractor. Tikka is a push feed bolt. *Winchester has a coned breech face. Tikka has a 90 degree bolt face.
*Winchesters safety is vastly superior to any safety currently on any other bolt action rifle.
*Winchesters bottom metal is real metal. Tikka's is polymer.
*Winchester has an integrated recoil lug machined into the receiver. Tikka's recoil lug is a piece of metal pressed into the stock that fits a slot milled into the receiver.

Just to name a few.

Comparing these two rifles is like comparing a bottle of fine wine with a some Boons Farm you get from the grocery store.

LMAO!!!!!! But very true!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fritz1
LMAO!!!!!! But very true!
Fritz1, Can I quote you, you bottomless pit of information???

Larry, from a land under...
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 462x0
Fritz1, Can I quote you, you bottomless pit of information???

Larry, from a land under...
What happened? You got banned and came back as Larry? LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.