Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
new glock 17 jamming >

new glock 17 jamming

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new glock 17 jamming

Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default new glock 17 jamming

I picked up a glock 17 yesterday, went down to walmart and bought 2 boxs of winchester 100 round 9mm luger, went out today for some shooting, fired one round and the second did not cycle into the chamber and the slide was stuck half back, cleared it, and went through the clip with no issue. Loaded the mag again, went through about 6 rounds and at did it again, then we went through another 2 mags with no issue. Could this just be cause it is new, the ammo is not right for it, or could there be a issue with the gun, my glock 21(45acp) has never had a issue with jamming.

Second I noticed when cleaning both today the spring will sit on a higher spot with less tension or a lower spot with more tension. Is one right and the other not, I had it on the lower spot as that was how it came.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I picked up a glock 17 yesterday, went down to walmart and bought 2 boxs of winchester 100 round 9mm luger, went out today for some shooting, fired one round and the second did not cycle into the chamber and the slide was stuck half back, cleared it, and went through the clip with no issue. Loaded the mag again, went through about 6 rounds and at did it again, then we went through another 2 mags with no issue. Could this just be cause it is new, the ammo is not right for it, or could there be a issue with the gun, my glock 21(45acp) has never had a issue with jamming.

Second I noticed when cleaning both today the spring will sit on a higher spot with less tension or a lower spot with more tension. Is one right and the other not, I had it on the lower spot as that was how it came.
Was it the same magazine in the gun when it jammed or different mags?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The spring goes on the lower spot. Your gun will not function on the higher spot.

You might try and put a few hundred more rounds through it and see if needs breaking in. You might also want to try some more potent rounds.

You should pay close attention to wich mags are in it when it jams. You either have a mag problem or a spring not yet broke in problem.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 03-06-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ran my 45 on the top spot with no issue, I used the same mag as the other was full of hollowpoints, I will check the other mag.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quit using white box Winchester ammo and your problem will go away.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Quit limp wristing the pistol.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

I think it's either your magazine or you limp wristed it. I never heard of a Glock having problems eatting Winchester White Box Ammo. Maybe yours just needs to break in.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

what do you mean limp wristing it?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

could be that the gun is dirty, the ammo casing was bad, or it could be your grip
Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have a friend that bought a Glock 17 brand new and had problems with an occasional jam. I believe he was using Federal ammo. I can't remember the exact type but I know it was a target round and not a carry round he had problems with. After about 250-300 rounds the problem went away.

From what you wrote it sounds like you don't have any problems with your other Glock so I am not sure it is your shooting form/grip.

Shoot the Hell out of it and maybe try different ammo and see if the problem continues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.