Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Thompson for deer hunting/ which model >

Thompson for deer hunting/ which model

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thompson for deer hunting/ which model

Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Spike

Default Thompson for deer hunting/ which model

I'm looking at getting a Thompson Pistol in a caliber for deer hunting ,to start off with. I want a model that also offers rifle barrels. Can anyone recommended which model (pro hunter, contender or encore). Don't know anything about these guns, except I want a platform that I can easily swap barrels out. Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

i like the pro hunter, have it in 270, good deer caliber
Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Talking TC's

All the TCs listed will use different barrels, the old contender, and the new G2 models will use the same barrels except the ML barrel for the G2 will require some mods to fit the older contenders. The contender does have some limits the chamber pressure should be kept under 48,000 cup , or you risk stretching the frame and destroying the gun. The Encore is a much heavier package, and barrels from 22 through 416 can be had, and are used by many,
The 30-30 and 35 rem make very nice deer rounds, if you can use bottle neck cartridges where you hunt, if not the 44 mag or 45 colt will fill the bill. And these are contender cartridges.If your up for more there is no limit to what you can use through the Encore. Although most aren't up for the recoil these bad boys dish out. My personal limit seems to be in the 460 , or 30-06 range with the Encore pistol, but I can't say I enjoy shooting full house loads through them, for enjoyment the 308 seems to be about my limit, but the 223 is my favorite for just goofing off.
Any will fill the bill but I would recommend, you try to find someone that will give you a chance to try them out. Most TC shooters I know, enjoy their strange addiction and love to spread it, so if you find a TC shooter in your area and ask about it you'll probably get an invite to try it out.
Alex